Moldovan anti-government protests funded by Ilan Shor - Global Banking & Finance Review
The image illustrates the ongoing anti-government protests in Moldova, where fugitive tycoon Ilan Shor offers $3,000 monthly to participants. This controversial move aims to destabilize the pro-European government ahead of elections.
Finance

Wood Mackenzie cuts 5-year US wind energy outlook 40% on Trump policies

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on April 8, 2025

2 min read

· Last updated: April 8, 2025

Add as preferred source on Google

Wood Mackenzie Reduces US Wind Energy Forecast by 40%

(Reuters) - A prominent energy research firm slashed its five-year outlook for new U.S. wind energy projects by 40% on Tuesday, citing Trump administration policies and concerns about the economy.

Wood Mackenzie expects the United States to install 45.1 gigawatts of wind, both onshore and offshore, through 2029. It had originally forecast installations of 75.8 GW over that period, the firm said in a statement.

U.S. power consumption is expected to rise to record highs in 2025 and 2026, jumping nearly 3% this year from 2024's all-time high, the Energy Information Administration said last month amid growing demand from data centers dedicated to artificial intelligence.

Wind energy was already facing a slowdown in the United States before President Donald Trump in January issued an order to pause new federal wind leasing and permitting, calling wind turbines ugly, expensive and harmful to wildlife.

"We're not going to do the wind thing. Big, ugly wind mills. They ruin your neighborhood," he said. Former President Joe Biden saw wind power as vital to his strategy of decarbonizing the U.S. power sector to fight climate change.

The U.S. wind market was the smallest it has been in a decade last year with the installation of 5.2 GW compared with 7 GW in 2023. Wind installations had been almost double that amount in 2021 and 2022 ahead of the expected expiration of a federal tax credit for clean energy, which was later extended for a decade in the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022.

"While we expect the market to rebound somewhat, ongoing uncertainty around future US wind policy and economic pressures will likely constrain growth in the near-term compared to previous forecasts, despite sustained demand for power," Wood Mackenzie research analyst Stephen Maldonado said in a statement.

(Reporting by Nichola Groom; Editing by Howard Goller)

Key Takeaways

  • Wood Mackenzie reduces US wind energy forecast by 40%.
  • Trump policies cited as a major factor in the forecast cut.
  • US power consumption expected to rise to record highs by 2025.
  • Wind energy faced a slowdown before Trump's federal order.
  • Ongoing uncertainty around US wind policy affects growth.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the main topic?
The article discusses Wood Mackenzie's reduction of the US wind energy outlook by 40% due to Trump administration policies.
Why was the US wind energy outlook cut?
The outlook was cut due to Trump administration policies and economic concerns affecting future growth.
How does this affect the US energy sector?
The reduction in wind energy projects could impact the US's ability to meet rising power demands and decarbonization goals.

Related Articles

More from Finance

Explore more articles in the Finance category