Four killed, 35 children injured in Ukrainian drone attack on Luhansk, Russian officials say - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Four killed, 35 children injured in Ukrainian drone attack on Luhansk, Russian officials say

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 22, 2026

2 min read

· Last updated: May 22, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

Ukrainian Drone Attack Kills Four, Injures 35 Children in Luhansk Dormitory

Details of the Luhansk Dormitory Attack

Casualties and Immediate Aftermath

MOSCOW, May 22 (Reuters) - At least four people were killed and 35 children were wounded in an overnight Ukrainian drone attack on a student dormitory in Russian-controlled Luhansk in eastern Ukraine, Russian officials said on Friday.

Verification and Ukrainian Response

Reuters was not able to immediately verify what happened independently and there was no immediate comment from Ukraine, which is fighting to try to return Luhansk, one of four regions Russia unilaterally claimed as its own in 2022 in what Kyiv said was an illegal land grab.

Statements from Russian Officials

Account from Russia's Human Rights Commissioner

Yana Lantratova, the Russia's Human Rights Commissioner, said that 86 teenagers aged between 14 to 18 had been sleeping inside Luhansk Pedagogical University's Starobilsk college when Ukrainian drones attacked it.

Allegations of Targeted Strike

"The Ukrainian armed forces carried out a targeted strike on sleeping children," Lantratova said in a statement.

Rescue Efforts and Ongoing Search

Leonid Pasechnik, the top Russia-installed official in Luhansk, said two people had been pulled from the rubble and that rescue workers were still looking for children trapped beneath the debris.

Visual Evidence and Media Coverage

Photo and video released by the Russian authorities showed rescue workers stretchering one man out of the rubble, severely damaged buildings, one of which appeared to have partially collapsed, and fires still burning.

(Reporting by Reuters; Writing by Anastasia Teterevleva; Editing by Andrew Osborn)

Key Takeaways

  • Four people reportedly killed and 35 children injured in the overnight drone strike on the Starobilsk college dormitory in Luhansk, as per Russian sources; independent verification is lacking and Ukraine has not commented. (en.wikipedia.org)
  • An estimated 86 teenagers aged 14–18 were sleeping in the dormitory when it was struck, described by Russia’s Human Rights Commissioner as a “targeted strike on sleeping children.” (reddit.com)
  • The dormitory belongs to Luhansk Pedagogical University’s Starobilsk college, and local rescue teams continue to search for children trapped under rubble amid severely damaged buildings and fires. (reddit.com)

References

Frequently Asked Questions

How many casualties were reported in the Luhansk drone attack?
At least four people were killed and 35 children were injured in the Ukrainian drone attack on a student dormitory in Luhansk.
Where did the Ukrainian drone attack occur in Luhansk?
The drone attack took place at the Luhansk Pedagogical University's Starobilsk college dormitory.
Who confirmed the details of the drone attack in Luhansk?
Russian officials and Yana Lantratova, Russia's Human Rights Commissioner, reported the details of the incident.
Were there any comments from Ukrainian authorities about the drone attack?
There was no immediate comment from Ukraine regarding the drone attack at the time of reporting.
What ages were the children affected in the Luhansk dormitory attack?
The children affected were teenagers aged between 14 to 18 years old.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category