Bodies of two Italians killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives state media says - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Bodies of two Italians killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives state media says

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 19, 2026

2 min read

· Last updated: May 19, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

Bodies of two Italians killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives government says

Recovery Efforts and Investigation into Maldives Diving Tragedy

Details of the Accident

MALE, May 19 (Reuters) - The bodies of two Italian divers killed in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, a Maldives government spokesperson said on Tuesday, as efforts continue to retrieve the remains of two others. 

The divers were part of a group of five who entered a deepwater cave last week. The remains of one among them – their instructor – was recovered on Friday.

Recovery Operations

The bodies were brought up to 30 metres by a specialist team of Finnish divers – who joined the efforts this week – after which Maldivian divers and the police assisted in bringing them to the surface, spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef told Reuters.

Identification of Victims

"Identities have not been confirmed yet, but we know that it's a male and female body that has been recovered," he said.

Background of the Divers

The group that entered the cave was led by Monica Montefalcone, 51, a University of Genoa professor and marine ecologist who was a regular diver in Maldivian waters in the Indian Ocean, and also included her daughter.

Ongoing Investigation

Maldivian authorities are probing multiple possible factors behind the accident – the deadliest single incident in the country's diving history – including whether the divers descended far deeper than expected.

Future Recovery Plans

The two remaining bodies will be recovered on Wednesday, according to the government's plan.

Reporting Credits

(Reporting by Mohamed Junayd and Krishna Das, writing by Sakshi Dayal; Editing by YP Rajesh)

Key Takeaways

  • Bodies of two more Italian divers recovered inside deepwater cave; instructor’s body had been recovered earlier
  • Rescue operations conducted by Finnish technical and cave diving specialists using closed‑circuit rebreathers
  • Investigation underway into whether divers exceeded safety depth limits and lacked proper cave‑diving authorization

Frequently Asked Questions

How many divers were involved in the Maldives scuba accident?
A total of five divers were involved in the scuba accident in the Maldives.
How many Italian divers have been recovered so far?
The bodies of two Italian divers and one instructor have been recovered.
Where did the scuba diving accident occur?
The accident occurred in a deepwater cave in the Maldives.
Are recovery efforts still ongoing in the Maldives diving accident?
Yes, efforts are continuing to retrieve the remains of two others.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category