The Lord Mayor of the City of London, Jeffrey Mountevans, is to lead a business delegation to Hong Kong and Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin in Mainland China (7-14 September). The Lord Mayor will look to strengthen the commercial ties between the UK and China and promote Britain as one of the best places in which to invest and do business.
In his three day visit to Hong Kong, the Lord Mayor will meet Financial Secretary John Tsang to explore opportunities for further cooperation on international trade, including specific opportunities for investors from Hong Kong and mainland China. Other notable events will include:
- Meeting representatives from Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA), Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing (HKEX), and the Financial Services Development Council (FSDC) to promote UK-Hong Kong commercial relationships;
- Promoting the UK’s maritime services and training capabilities to the Hong Kong Shipowners Association, and speaking at a Hong Kong Marine Insurance Roundtable held by Lloyd’s Insurance;
- Updating Hong Kong-based financial services companies on the business climate in the UK after the Brexit vote.
While in mainland China, the Lord Mayor will meet policy makers and business leaders to share the views on economic development in both countries, and discuss areas of mutual interest such as RMB internationalization and Green Finance. This includes:
- Meeting senior government officials in Shanghai, Beijing and Tianjin;
- Opening the 7th International Shipping Strategic Development Forum in partnership with Maritime London;
- Visiting the China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS), Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) and Shanghai Clearing House (SCH);
- Discussing financial regulation with the China Insurance Regulatory Commission (CIRC) and China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC);
- Co-hosting a round-table discussion on China’s capital markets with the Mayor of Xicheng district.
- Attending the launch of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)’ Data Analysis Report and round-table in Shanghai.
Speaking ahead of his visit to China, the Lord Mayor Jeffrey Mountevans said:
WANT TO BUILD A FINANCIAL EMPIRE?
Subscribe to the Global Banking & Finance Review Newsletter for FREE Get Access to Exclusive Reports to Save Time & Money
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. We Will Not Spam, Rent, or Sell Your Information.
“China is a vital trade and investment partner for the UK. My visit comes at an opportune time to reassure government and industry that the UK remains open for business. I will reiterate our commitment to deepening the long-standing links between the UK and China, I will celebrate the strengths and co-operation between our nations and I will explore new ways for us to work together.
“As the financial and commercial heart of both Britain and Europe, the City of London is a natural partner for Chinese investors and businesses that want to expand their global presence. We believe that opportunities to collaborate will continue to emerge, benefiting our own economies and wider global growth.
“I will lead a City business delegation consisting of senior financial and professional services representatives to explore the business opportunities available in these key Asian markets.”