Sneaker brand On's promotional products showcasing athletic footwear - Global Banking & Finance Review
Image of On Holding's athletic footwear promotions, highlighting their new Cloudsurfer Max and Cloudboom Max models. This visual reflects On's strategy to enhance sales and capture market share in the competitive sneaker industry.
Headlines

Ukraine says new Russian missile, bomb attack hits Sumy, after strike kills 35

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on April 14, 2025

4 min read

· Last updated: April 14, 2025

Add as preferred source on Google

Ukraine Reports New Russian Missile Attack on Sumy

(Reuters) - Ukraine's Air Force said a new Russian missile and guided bombs targeted the city of Sumy in northeastern Ukraine on Monday evening, a day after a missile strike killed 35 people in the city.

Local officials said the missile strike occurred on the outskirts of the city and reported no casualties. Checks were being conducted to determine the extent of any damage.

Russia's Defence Ministry said two of its missiles had struck a meeting of Ukrainian military officers on Sunday in Sumy. Ukraine called the strike a deliberate attack on civilians.

On Monday evening, a Ukrainian Air Force statement said a missile had been launched on Sumy and within 20 minutes, a second statement said Russian aircraft were launching guided bombs on the city.

Public broadcaster Suspilne reported an explosion, with no further details.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, speaking in his nightly video address, said the casualty toll in Sunday's strike had reached 35 dead and 119 injured. Forty people were in hospital, with 11 in serious condition.

Zelenskiy said nearly 50 countries and international organisations had sent messages of support.

In a statement, Russia's Defence Ministry accused Ukraine of using civilians as human shields by placing military facilities and holding events involving soldiers in the centre of a densely populated city.

There was no immediate response from Kyiv to the human shield accusation.

Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said Russian attacks on Sumy and the city of Kryvyi Rih showed Russian President Vladimir Putin was seeking a continuation of war, not an end to it. The Kremlin says Russia is willing to seek a lasting peace that addresses what it calls the root causes of the conflict.

The Russian statement said its forces had fired "two Iskander-M tactical missiles at the meeting venue" of what it called an operational tactical group of Ukraine's armed forces.

It said more than 60 Ukrainian soldiers were killed in the strike.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told the Kommersant newspaper that Ukrainian military leaders had been meeting in Sumy with "Western colleagues," but did not identify any Western participants or provide evidence to support the allegation.

Reuters has contacted the Foreign Ministry for comment and received no immediate response.

TOUGH RESPONSE

Zelenskiy on Sunday demanded a tough international response against Moscow over the attack, which came as U.S. President Donald Trump struggles to make progress towards fulfilling his pledge to rapidly end the war.

"Only scoundrels can act like this, taking the lives of ordinary people," Zelenskiy said, noting that the attack took place on Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter when many Christians attend church.

Zelenskiy's chief of staff Andriy Yermak said Russia was trying to "kill as many civilians as possible." Foreign Minister Sybiha said Kyiv was "sharing detailed information about this war crime with all of our partners and international institutions."

The leaders of Britain, Germany and Italy condemned the attack. Trump, when asked about the Russian strike, said it was terrible.

"And I was told they made a mistake," he said without elaborating further. "But I think it's a horrible thing."

Russian presidential spokesperson Dmitry Peskov was asked at his daily briefing how the Kremlin viewed Trump's comment and whether the strike had been conducted in error.

He replied that the Kremlin did not comment on the course of the war, and this was a matter for the Defence Ministry.

"I can only repeat and remind you of the repeated statements of both our president and our military representatives that our military strikes exclusively at military and military-adjacent targets," he said.

A United Nations monitoring mission said in February that at least 12,654 Ukrainian civilians had been killed in the first three years of the war and 29,392 had been wounded.

French President Emmanuel Macron said the attack on Sumy highlighted the urgent need to impose a ceasefire on Russia, and Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said Putin was mocking the goodwill of Trump and his administration.

(Reporting by Reuters in Moscow and Kyiv; editing by Barbara Lewis, Ron Popeski and Rod Nickel)

Key Takeaways

  • A new Russian missile targeted Sumy, Ukraine.
  • The attack follows a previous strike killing 35 people.
  • Ukraine accuses Russia of targeting civilians.
  • International leaders condemn the Russian actions.
  • Russia claims military targets were hit, not civilians.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the main topic?
The article discusses a new Russian missile attack on Sumy, Ukraine, following a previous deadly strike.
What was the casualty toll in the previous strike?
The previous missile strike in Sumy resulted in 35 deaths and 119 injuries.
How has Ukraine responded to the attacks?
Ukraine has accused Russia of targeting civilians and is seeking international support.

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category