When entrepreneur Kevin Byrne first formed Checkatrade in 1998, little did he know the impact the company would have on the UK trading industry. In the wake of a Tornado, which devastated his hometown of Selsey in Sussex, he noticed that there had been an increase in the amount of rogue traders in the area so created Checkatrade as a place where people could source reliable and trusted tradespeople.
Since then the business has grown at a phenomenal pace. They provide an online resource where tradespeople including builders, plumbers and electricians are vetted with 18 consideration of which 13 are actual checks before they become a Checkatrade member to ensure they are to the highest possible quality.
Next year marks the company’s 20th anniversary and they can celebrate knowing that in just 20 years they have achieved great things.
Top EIGHT Checkatrade successes
- Now feature over 26,000 members.
- Gain 1.5m visits per month to the website.
- 3.2m customer reviews published – All tradespeople on the website are independently reviewed by customers so only the most reputable tradespeople are featured.
- A total of 288 jobs have been generated to date – they also continue to keep their growth strong due to heavy media presence and sponsorship of national TV programmes.
- A total of £3.6billion contributed to trades and services.
- 9,500 new employment positions for companies across the UK in the past 12 months
Football sponsorship highlights
- Crawley Town – Since 2013 Checkatrade have been the stadium sponsor for Football league club Crawley Town. This involves the team’s stadium now being known as ‘The Checkatrade Stadium.’
- The Checkatrade Trophy – In 2016 the company acquired the sponsorship of the EFL Trophy, which is now known as the Checkatrade Trophy. This has been a huge success and last season culminated in Coventry City winning the trophy, defeating Oxford United in front of a record breaking crowd of 74,434 fans at Wembley Stadium.
As they approach another milestone with their 20th anniversary next year, Checkatrade’s profile continues to grow and they remain as dedicated as ever to provide the UK with the most trusted tradespeople in the country.