Last two bodies of Italian divers killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives says - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Last two bodies of Italian divers killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives says

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 20, 2026

2 min read

· Last updated: May 20, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

Last two bodies of Italian divers killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives says

Recovery and Investigation of Maldives Diving Accident

By Mohamed Junayd and Waruna Cudah Nimal Karunatilake

Completion of Recovery Efforts

MALE, May 20 (Reuters) - The last two bodies of the Italian divers killed in the Maldives' deadliest-ever diving accident have been recovered, a government spokesperson said on Wednesday, completing recovery efforts. 

Details of the Diving Expedition

The divers were among a group of five who entered a deepwater cave for exploration last week, after being granted the necessary permit to research soft corals in the Devana Kandu site.

Investigation into the Cause of Deaths

Maldivian authorities are investigating multiple possible causes behind their deaths, including whether the group descended far deeper than expected. 

Identification and Repatriation of Victims

"A preliminary identification has confirmed the identities of the Italians and work will go on to confirm via DNA through Interpol and other partners," spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef told Reuters. 

"In the meantime, all the bodies will be repatriated to Italy," he said, adding that Maldives would continue investigations to "find the facts of what happened".    

Profiles of the Victims

Leadership of the Expedition

The group was led by Monica Montefalcone, 51, a University of Genoa professor and marine ecologist who was a regular diver in Maldivian waters in the Indian Ocean, and also included her daughter.

Recovery Timeline

The body of the group's instructor was recovered on Friday, and the remains of two other divers were retrieved on Tuesday after a specialist team from Finland was roped in to help with efforts.

Additional Casualties During Search

A Maldives National Defence Force diver taking part in the search also died from decompression illness as divers tried to locate the bodies on Saturday.

Reporting Credits

(Reporting by Waruna Cudah Nimal Karunatilake, Writing by Hritam Mukherjee and Sakshi Dayal; Editing by YP Rajesh and Kate Mayberry)

Key Takeaways

  • The last two bodies were retrieved from roughly 60 m depth inside a deepwater cave in Vaavu Atoll, in what has become the Maldives’ deadliest diving accident (apnews.com).
  • The operation faced extreme challenges — including poor visibility, strong currents, rough weather, and the suspension of recovery efforts after a Maldivian military diver died from decompression sickness (apnews.com).
  • Authorities are probing all possible causes, including whether the divers descended well below the legal recreational limit of ~30 m, into technical depths (~50–60 m) without adequate precaution (apnews.com).

References

Frequently Asked Questions

How many Italian divers died in the Maldives scuba accident?
Five Italian divers died during a scuba diving accident in the Maldives.
Where were the Italian divers found in the Maldives?
The divers were recovered from a deepwater cave where the accident occurred.
What is being investigated after the diving accident?
Maldivian authorities are probing all causes, including whether the group descended deeper than expected.
When were the last two bodies of the Italian divers recovered?
The last two bodies were recovered by Maldivian authorities on May 20.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category