Israel, Hezbollah war persists despite truce extension; Lebanon's death toll nears 3,000 - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Israel, Hezbollah war persists despite truce extension; Lebanon's death toll nears 3,000

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 18, 2026

4 min read

· Last updated: May 18, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

Israel, Hezbollah war persists despite truce extension; Lebanon's death toll passes 3,000

Ongoing Conflict and Rising Casualties in Lebanon

BEIRUT/JERUSALEM, May 18 (Reuters) - Israel carried out airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Monday, Lebanese security sources and the state news agency said, while Hezbollah announced new attacks on Israeli forces, continuing the war in Lebanon despite the extension of a U.S.-backed truce.

Since the war began on March 2, more than 3,000 people have been killed in Lebanon, the country's health ministry reported in its latest casualty toll on Monday.

Background and Truce Efforts

Reignited by the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran, hostilities between Iran-backed Hezbollah and Israel have rumbled on since U.S. President Donald Trump first announced a ceasefire on April 16, with fighting mostly contained to southern Lebanon. 

A 45-day ceasefire extension, announced after a third round of U.S.-hosted talks between Lebanon and Israel on Friday, began at midnight, a Lebanese official said. 

Diplomatic Mediation and Regional Tensions

The U.S.-led mediation has emerged in parallel to diplomacy ​aimed at ending the U.S.-Iran conflict. Iran has ⁠said ending Israel's war in Lebanon is one of its demands for a deal over the wider conflict. Hezbollah, which opened fire at Israel on March 2, objects to Beirut taking part in the talks.

Recent Military Actions

Airstrikes and Explosive Drone Attacks

AIRSTRIKES, EXPLOSIVE DRONE  

Overnight, an Israeli strike near the eastern Lebanese city of Baalbeck killed a commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group, a Hezbollah ally, along with his daughter, security sources in Lebanon said.

The Israeli military said it had killed the commander, Wael Mahmoud Abd al-Halim, in a strike, after taking steps to "mitigate the risk of harm to civilians". It made no mention of Halim's daughter. 

Hezbollah said it launched an explosive drone at an Iron Dome air defence position in the Galilee area of northern Israel, and carried out other attacks on Israeli forces in Lebanon.

Israel's military said some "launches" aimed at Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon, as well as an explosive drone, had crossed into Israeli territory. 

Lebanon's National News Agency reported Israeli airstrikes on more than half a dozen locations in south Lebanon. 

The Israeli military said it could not comment on the reported airstrikes without the coordinates of each one, and didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the attack claimed by Hezbollah on the Iron Dome position.

The Israeli military said earlier on Monday it had struck more than 30 Hezbollah sites in southern Lebanon in the previous 24 hours, and warned residents of three villages in the south to leave their homes, saying it intended to act against Hezbollah.

Casualties and Humanitarian Impact

Death Toll Rises

DEATH TOLL RISES

Israeli forces have occupied a self-declared security zone in the south, where they have been razing villages, saying they aim to shield northern Israel from attacks by Hezbollah fighters embedded in civilian areas.

Lebanon's health ministry reported that the death toll in Lebanon had risen to 3,020 people, among them 619 women, children and healthcare workers.

Combatant and Civilian Deaths

Its toll doesn't say how many combatants are among the dead.

Many Hezbollah fighters who have been killed in the war are not included in the health ministry death toll, sources familiar with Hezbollah's casualty numbers have said.

Reuters reported on May 4 that several thousand Hezbollah fighters had been killed in the war, citing casualty estimates from within the group. The Hezbollah media office said at the time the figure of several thousand fighters killed was false.

Israeli Casualties

Israeli authorities say 18 soldiers have been killed by Hezbollah attacks or while operating in south Lebanon since March 2, in addition to a contractor working for an engineering company on behalf of Israel's defence ministry. Hezbollah attacks have killed two civilians in northern Israel. 

(Reporting by Laila Bassam in Beirut, Alexander Cornwell in Jerusalem, Eman Abouhassira in Dubai; Writing by Tom Perry; Editing by Aidan Lewis)

Key Takeaways

  • A 45‑day extension of the April 16 ceasefire, agreed upon after mid‑May U.S.-hosted talks, came into effect at midnight, aiming to pause hostilities amid wider U.S.–Iran conflict mediation (investing.com).
  • Despite the truce extension, military actions persist: Israeli airstrikes have struck over 30 Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon in the past 24 hours, while Hezbollah launched drone and rocket attacks reaching into northern Israel (investing.com).
  • Lebanese authorities report the war’s death toll at 2,988 as of May 17, including civilians, though other counts (like AP’s) place it above 3,000, reflecting the conflict’s escalating human cost (investing.com).

References

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the current death toll in Lebanon from the Israel-Hezbollah conflict?
Lebanon's health ministry reported 2,988 deaths since March 2, including 613 women, children, and healthcare workers.
Why has the Israel-Hezbollah war persisted despite a truce extension?
Hostilities continue due to ongoing tensions and attacks from both sides, even after a U.S.-backed ceasefire extension.
How has the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah affected civilians?
Civilians have been affected by airstrikes, evacuations, and the occupation of villages, resulting in significant casualties and displacement.
What role has the U.S. played in the Israel-Hezbollah conflict?
The U.S. has been mediating ceasefire talks and truce extensions between Lebanon and Israel as part of broader diplomatic efforts.
How many Israeli soldiers have been killed since the conflict reignited?
Israeli authorities state that 18 soldiers and one contractor have been killed since March 2 in the ongoing conflict.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category