Thai Watchdog to Take Legal Action Against Volvo Over EX30 Battery Fires, Refund Demands Rise
Legal Action and Consumer Demands in Thailand
BANGKOK, May 21 (Reuters) - Thailand's consumer watchdog will file a civil suit against the local unit of Volvo Cars over battery-related fires in its EX30 model, a senior official told Reuters after a meeting between customers and the carmaker failed to reach an agreement.
Watchdog's Resolution and Legal Proceedings
"The Office of Consumer Protection Board reached a resolution to file a suit for damages, including refunds," Pradoemchai Bunchualuai, who chaired Thursday's meeting, told Reuters by phone.
Pradoemchai, who is an adviser to Thailand's prime minister's office, said the OCPB would run the civil suit on a case-by-case basis.
Background: EX30 Battery Fires and Global Recall
The decision to take court action follows two EX30 fires in the country this month, and adds to pressure on the Swedish carmaker as it tries to manage a global recall of its electric SUV.
Volvo Cars' Thailand unit did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the suit. There are over 1,600 EX30s in Thailand.
Volvo's Response and Interim Measures
A Volvo Cars spokesperson had previously said that the incidents remain rare, with fires reported in 0.1% of affected vehicles. Volvo Cars has issued notices to customers to not charge their battery beyond 70% as an interim measure.
Customer Reactions and Refund Demands
Pradoemchai said Volvo Cars had proposed battery replacements and the use of temporary vehicles for 90% of those impacted and partial replacements for the rest, but that was not accepted by customers.
"Most consumers want a full refund and not battery replacements," EX30-owner Tanchanok Nowsuwan, who attended the meeting, told reporters.
Scope of Recall and Ongoing Developments
Reuters reported in February that Volvo would recall more than 40,000 EX30s and replace battery modules due to a defect that could cause packs to overheat and potentially catch fire. The Volvo Cars spokesperson said the global recall has been reduced to 37,802 cars from 40,323.
(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng and Panarat Thepgumpant, Editing by John Mair)


