Trump administration proposes scrapping UN peacekeeping funding - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Trump administration proposes scrapping UN peacekeeping funding

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on April 15, 2025

3 min read

· Last updated: April 15, 2025

Add as preferred source on Google

Trump's Plan to End UN Peacekeeping Funding: What It Means

By Jonathan Landay and Humeyra Pamuk

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House budget office has proposed eliminating funding for United Nations peacekeeping missions, citing failures by operations in Mali, Lebanon and Democratic Republic of Congo, according to internal planning documents seen by Reuters.

Washington is the U.N.'s largest contributor - with China second - accounting for 22% of the $3.7 billion core regular U.N. budget and 27% of the $5.6 billion peacekeeping budget. These payments are mandatory.

The proposed peacekeeping cuts are included in a so-called "Passback," the response by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to State Department funding requests for the upcoming fiscal year, which begins on October 1. The overall plan wants to slash the State Department budget by about half.

The new budget must be approved by Congress, and lawmakers could decide to restore some or all of the funding the administration has proposed cutting.

The State Department was due to respond to the OMB proposal on Tuesday. During U.S. President Donald Trump's first term he proposed cutting about a third of diplomacy and aid budgets. But Congress, which sets the federal government budget, pushed back on Trump's proposal.

"There is no final plan, final budget," State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce told reporters on Tuesday when asked about the OMB proposals.

The OMB has proposed ending Contributions for International Peacekeeping Activities (CIPA).

"For example, Passback provides no funding for CIPA, ending contributions for international peacekeeping due to the recent failures in peacekeeping, such as with MINUSMA, UNIFIL, and MONUSCO, and the disproportionately high level of assessments," according to an excerpt from the Passback.

U.S. IN ARREARS

The United Nations peacekeeping budget funds nine missions in Mali, Lebanon, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Western Sahara, Cyprus, Kosovo, between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights and Abyei, an administrative area that is jointly run by South Sudan and Sudan.

The OMB Passback also proposed the creation of a $2.1 billion America First Opportunities Fund (A1OF), which it said would be used to cover a limited set of foreign economic and development assistance priorities.

"Should the Administration seek to pay any assessments for the United Nations Regular Budget or peacekeeping assessments, we would look to provide that funding from the A1OF," read the OMB Passback.

U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric on Tuesday declined to comment on "what appears to be a leaked memo that is part of an internal debate within the U.S. government."

The U.S. owes - for arrears and the current fiscal year - nearly $1.5 billion for the regular U.N. budget and nearly $1.2 billion for the peacekeeping budget. A country can be up to two years in arrears before facing the possible repercussion of losing its vote in the 193-member General Assembly.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres last month said he is seeking ways to improve efficiency and cut costs as the world body turns 80 this year amid a cash crisis.

(Additional reporting and writing by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Don Durfee and Sonali Paul)

Key Takeaways

  • Trump administration proposes cutting UN peacekeeping funding.
  • The US is the largest contributor to UN budgets.
  • Congress must approve any proposed budget cuts.
  • The proposal includes creating a new America First fund.
  • The US is currently in arrears on UN payments.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the main topic?
The article discusses the Trump administration's proposal to cut funding for UN peacekeeping missions and its potential implications.
Why is the US proposing to cut UN funding?
The proposal cites failures in UN peacekeeping missions in various regions and seeks to redirect funds to other priorities.
What is the America First Opportunities Fund?
It is a proposed $2.1 billion fund to cover select foreign economic and development assistance priorities.

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category