Editorial & Advertiser Disclosure Global Banking And Finance Review is an independent publisher which offers News, information, Analysis, Opinion, Press Releases, Reviews, Research reports covering various economies, industries, products, services and companies. The content available on globalbankingandfinance.com is sourced by a mixture of different methods which is not limited to content produced and supplied by various staff writers, journalists, freelancers, individuals, organizations, companies, PR agencies Sponsored Posts etc. The information available on this website is purely for educational and informational purposes only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy or applicability of any of the information provided at globalbankingandfinance.com with respect to your individual or personal circumstances. Please seek professional advice from a qualified professional before making any financial decisions. Globalbankingandfinance.com also links to various third party websites and we cannot guarantee the accuracy or applicability of the information provided by third party websites. Links from various articles on our site to third party websites are a mixture of non-sponsored links and sponsored links. Only a very small fraction of the links which point to external websites are affiliate links. Some of the links which you may click on our website may link to various products and services from our partners who may compensate us if you buy a service or product or fill a form or install an app. This will not incur additional cost to you. A very few articles on our website are sponsored posts or paid advertorials. These are marked as sponsored posts at the bottom of each post. For avoidance of any doubts and to make it easier for you to differentiate sponsored or non-sponsored articles or links, you may consider all articles on our site or all links to external websites as sponsored . Please note that some of the services or products which we talk about carry a high level of risk and may not be suitable for everyone. These may be complex services or products and we request the readers to consider this purely from an educational standpoint. The information provided on this website is general in nature. Global Banking & Finance Review expressly disclaims any liability without any limitation which may arise directly or indirectly from the use of such information.

NEW STUDY HIGHLIGHTS THE EXTENT OF BREXIT THREAT TO THE CITY

  • 86% of in-house lawyers said that they are concerned that Brexit will have an impact on the size of their company’s future operations and headcount
  • 61% of in-house lawyers and partners at UK law firms felt that another city could rival London as Europe’s leading legal centre, and 33% of those numbers nominated cities in Germany with Hamburg the leading candidate
  • Over half of partners in UK law firms (58%) said that they have plans to move elements of their operations to a jurisdiction within the EU after Britain formally leaves the EU; 42% of businesses said they would relocate in-house legal staff after exit

MLex, which provides insight, commentary and analysis on regulatory risk around the world, has today released a study that highlights the concerns that both in-house lawyers and partners in law firms share over relocating their operations, being able to trade with other EU countries, and London losing its title as a leading legal centre post-Brexit.

One of the biggest concerns expressed by respondents was their ability to conduct business internationally post-Brexit. The results of the survey showed that as passporting into the Single Market is likely to be no longer possible for financial and professional services firms after Brexit, 86% of in-house lawyers said that they are concerned that it will have an impact on the size of their company’s future operations and headcount. Worryingly, one in five in-house lawyers also said that they are not confident in their company being able to trade with other EU countries whilst Brexit is on-going.

The survey also highlighted that although global businesses have historically chosen the UK legal system to resolve disputes, the legal community feels that Brexit could undermine this status. Over half (58%) of firms said that they already have plans to move elements of their operations to a jurisdiction within the EU after Britain formally leaves the EU. 42% of businesses said they would definitely relocate in-house legal staff after formal departure.

As a result, the findings revealed that the majority of in-house lawyers and partners at UK law firms (61%) felt that another city could rival London as Europe’s leading legal centre. Cities in Germany (33%) and Spain (29%) were favoured by both groups for rivalling London as Europe’s leading legal centre.

Despite these growing concerns, less than half (46%) of the partners at law firms said that they have set up a dedicated steering group to examine how Brexit will impact the business and to make key decisions for its future stability and growth.

Robert McLeod, Chief Executive Officer, MLex said:

“The results of our survey highlight the concerns that are weighing heavily on the City in the wake of the UK’s decision to leave the EU. It has been suggested that Brexit will cause an exodus of law firms as they explore relocation options to overcome trade restrictions and follow their clients should they wish to move. If London’s five dominant law firms, which posted a combined global revenue of £5.14 billion[1] in 2015, were to move significant parts of their operations, it could result in permanent decline for the UK economy.

“The legal framework governing UK financial institutions is largely derived from EU law, and many of those firms benefit from passporting, which allows them to conduct business in other EEA states. Without a passporting agreement in place, the UK’s position as the EU’s largest financial centre could be jeopardised by Brexit. Both in-house and external legal experts are expected to be called upon to advise on how the post-Brexit regulation model will affect the operations of financial firms.

“It is clear from these findings that law firms and corporate legal departments are making contingency plans that pre-empt international trade restrictions. Post-Brexit, lawyers could potentially lose their rights to EU professional legal privileges. In an attempt to protect these rights, several major law firms have already pre-emptively registered their lawyers in other jurisdictions. Our results highlight that many others may now follow suit, whether new agreements are negotiated before Britain formally leaves the EU or not.”

For information regarding MLex’s Brexit service, please click: http://mlexmarketinsight.com/brexit

[1]https://www.thelawyer.com/issues/online-july-2015/magic-circle-growth-combined-global-revenue-hits-5-14bn-in-201415/