Durham-based Atom bank has raised £149m in a round led by cornerstone investors BBVA and Toscafund.
As part of this fundraising round BBVA will invest a further £85.4m in the 5-star rated (Trustpilot) bank, increasing its ownership to around 39% subject to regulatory and shareholder approval. Toscafund will invest £54.4m and is also increasing its stake in the bank. A number of Atom’s other existing shareholders are also supporting this raise.
The injection of capital will secure Atom’s continued rapid growth as a lender and fund further investment in technology and business capabilities. To date Atom has taken £1.3bn of deposits and loaned over £1.2bn to SME businesses and homeowners in the UK.
Bridget Rosewell, Atom bank’s Chair said: “Atom is a rapidly growing, ambitious and vibrant business that is founded on the unique fit of our shareholders, our team and our partners. I am delighted that our investors have decided to back the bank with such a significant injection of capital to fuel our mission to change banking permanently for the better”.
WANT TO BUILD A FINANCIAL EMPIRE?
Subscribe to the Global Banking & Finance Review Newsletter for FREE Get Access to Exclusive Reports to Save Time & Money
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. We Will Not Spam, Rent, or Sell Your Information.
Atom bank’s CEO, Mark Mullen said: “We are very proud of what we have achieved in the Atom journey to date and we are excited about our plans for the future. This further significant injection of capital secures the bank’s place as a disruptive force in the mainstream of UK banking. We will continue to invest in growth, in our technology and in our products as we continue to push ahead with the support of our investors.”
Since its creation in April 2014, Atom has:
- Raised almost £400m of equity capital through the support of private and institutional investors, including BBVA, Woodford Investment Management and Toscafund Asset Management
- Built a highly motivated and experienced team of around 300 permanent employees
- Been ranked 8th in KPMG’s ‘Global 2017 Fintech 100’ listing, and uniquely in the EU have been top10 in this listing for the last three years
- Ranked 1st in Tech World’s Digital Challengers list
- Ranked 14th in LinkedIn’s ‘Top 25 Startups’
- Voted the UK’s most recommended bank
- Industry leading NPS scores in relation to Savings Product and Savings App Journey of 73%
- Trustpilot score of 5/5
- 98% of customers said they would recommend us on Reevoo
- Established a global network of partners and suppliers
- Launched 1, 2, 3 and 5 Year market-leading Fixed Saver accounts – Atom has nearly £1.3bn in deposits so far
- Launched Digital Mortgages by Atom, offering secured lending to SMEs and residential mortgage products – Atom has loaned around £1.2bn to date
- will.i.am joined Atom bank as a Strategic Board Advisor, giving an external perspective on culture, community and technology
- Partnered with Deposit Solutions and passported its deposit taking licence to Germany to access German retail savings market to diversify funding options and increase deposits
- Announced a four year STEM partnership with the Prince’s Trust in North East England
- Signed up to the Women in Finance Charter in 2016 and the Tech Talent Charter in 2017