GBAF Logo
Global Banking & Finance Awards® 2026 Nominations open, free to enter Nominate now →
Italian consortium acquiring Esso fuel stations in strategic financial deal - Global Banking & Finance Review
The image depicts the acquisition of Esso's 1,200 fuel stations by an Italian consortium, highlighting the strategic impact on Italy's fuel distribution network.
Finance

France warns of 300,000 potentially unsafe condoms

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on August 21, 2026

2 min read

· Last updated: August 21, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

France Warns of 300,000 Unsafe Condoms, Urges Health Precautions

French Authorities Issue Safety Alert Over Condoms

Background and Scope of the Warning

PARIS, Aug 21 (Reuters) - French anti-fraud and health agencies issued a warning on Friday against tens of thousands of potentially unsafe condoms sold on the internet and in shops and pharmacies.

Details of the Recall

Products Affected

The agencies recalled about 260,000 condoms sold in pharmacies and shops after lab tests found two products presented risks of bursting or the presence of perforations, they said in a statement.

Health Recommendations

They advised people who have used the condoms to get screened for sexually transmitted diseases and take a pregnancy test in case of a missed period.    

Online Marketplace Risks

Non-Compliant Products Identified

The anti-fraud agency, known as DGCCRF and the health agency, DGS, also found 30 condom lines listed on online marketplaces which lack the EU conformity seal or labelling in French.

Sales and Platform Response

Of these, about 1,000 boxes, containing more than 40,000 condoms had already been sold, the statement said. The platforms have agreed to remove the listings, the statement said.

Brands and Manufacturer Response

List of Non-Compliant Brands

The warning included a list of brands of non-compliant condoms, including two made by Japanese company Okamoto Industries and the brands My Lubie and Friday Bae by Passage du Desir. 

Company Statements

Okamoto Industries and Passage du Desir did not immediately respond to requests by Reuters for comment.

Reporting Credits

(Reporting by Inti Landauro; editing by Ingrid Melander, Elaine Hardcastle)

Key Takeaways

  • Approx. 260,000 condoms recalled in pharmacies and shops due to risks of bursting or perforations.
  • An additional 40,000+ condoms sold online lacked EU conformity seals or French labelling and have been delisted from marketplaces.
  • Users advised to get STD screening and take a pregnancy test if applicable; authorities emphasise importance of CE marking and correct labelling for safety.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did France recall 300,000 condoms?
Lab tests found some condoms risked bursting or had perforations, prompting a recall.
Which agencies issued the condom safety warning?
The French anti-fraud agency DGCCRF and the health agency DGS issued the warning.
What should people do if they used the recalled condoms?
They should get screened for sexually transmitted diseases and take a pregnancy test if necessary.
Where were the unsafe condoms sold?
The condoms were sold on the internet, in shops, and in pharmacies across France.
Which brands were mentioned as non-compliant?
Brands include Okamoto Industries, My Lubie, and Friday Bae by Passage du Desir.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Finance

Explore more articles in the Finance category