Prosecutors aim to announce charges over London's 2017 Grenfell fire by next June - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Prosecutors aim to announce charges over London's 2017 Grenfell fire by next June

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 19, 2026

3 min read

· Last updated: May 19, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

Prosecutors aim to announce charges over London's 2017 Grenfell fire by next June

Overview of Grenfell Fire Investigation and Upcoming Charges

By Sam Tobin

LONDON, May 19 (Reuters) - British prosecutors said on Tuesday that they were confident of announcing who might face criminal charges over the 2017 blaze that ravaged London's Grenfell Tower and killed 72 people before next June, the 10th anniversary of the disaster.

The fire was Britain's deadliest in a residential building since World War Two and prompted a national reckoning over building standards and the safety and conditions of social housing for low-income communities.

A public inquiry's final report in 2024 blamed the disaster on failings by the government, the construction industry and, most of all, the firms involved in fitting the exterior with flammable cladding, which had been marketed as safe.

Current Status of the Investigation

Suspects and Offences

57 PEOPLE REMAIN SUSPECTS

At a briefing for reporters on Tuesday, Garry Moncrieff, the officer in overall command of the police investigation, said 57 people and 20 companies or organisations "remain as suspects" for offences including corporate and gross negligence manslaughter, fraud and health and safety offences.

Evidence and Timeline

He said detectives would hand over files of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) by the end of September for it to consider what charges should be brought. 

"When something that's this complex and so hugely significant, it's really important that we get this investigation right ... to enable the CPS to take those charging decisions," said Moncrieff.

He acknowledged it had taken years to reach this stage, saying they could not begin to understand the impact it had had on the bereaved, the survivors, and all those affected.

Prosecution Perspective

Frank Ferguson, Chief Crown Prosecutor for the CPS, which previously said it hoped to make charging decisions by the end of this year, said that "it is not possible to be definitive about timescales", but he was "confident" these would take place by the 10th anniversary.

Background and Aftermath of the Grenfell Fire

Origin and Scale of the Disaster

Electrical Fault in Fridge

ELECTRICAL FAULT IN FRIDGE

Started by an electrical fault in a refrigerator, the fire ripped through the 23-storey social housing apartment block in the early hours of June 14, 2017. 

A massive police investigation - the largest and most complex ever undertaken in the history of the London force - was launched shortly afterwards, but detectives said no criminal charges would be brought until the end of the public inquiry into the disaster.

Community Response and Calls for Accountability

Grenfell United, a group which represents some of the bereaved families and survivors, said the process had already taken far too long.

"For our community, this is not news we meet with celebration," it said in a statement. "We have waited almost a decade for accountability. No family should have to wait over 10 years for justice for their loved ones, if it comes at all."

Government Actions and Future Plans

Britain subsequently said it would investigate companies involved in the refurbishment of Grenfell Tower with a view to stopping some firms being awarded public contracts, though companies have largely avoided financial liability.

Last year, the government began the process of demolishing parts of the building, with plans for a memorial also expected to be announced this year.

Reporting Credits

(Reporting by Sam Tobin; writing by Michael Holden; editing by Sarah Young and Hugh Lawson)

Key Takeaways

  • The Metropolitan Police’s Operation Northleigh identifies 57 people and 20 companies as suspects in offences including corporate and gross negligence manslaughter, fraud and health and safety breaches.
  • Detectives plan to deliver evidence files to the Crown Prosecution Service by end of September, with prosecutors confident that charging decisions will be announced by June 2026.
  • The Grenfell Tower Inquiry’s final report, published in 2024, assigned blame to government, construction industry and cladding firms, and criminal investigations are among the largest and most complex ever undertaken by the London police.
  • While CPS had earlier expected to make decisions by end of 2025, the full complexity means charges are now expected by mid‑2026 instead.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will prosecutors announce charges over the Grenfell Tower fire?
Prosecutors are confident charges will be announced before June 2025, the 10th anniversary of the disaster.
How many suspects are under investigation for the Grenfell fire?
A total of 57 people and 20 companies or organisations remain as suspects in the investigation.
What offences are being considered in the Grenfell Tower investigation?
Offences under consideration include corporate and gross negligence manslaughter, fraud, and health and safety offences.
What did the Grenfell public inquiry blame for the disaster?
The final report blamed the government, construction industry, and especially firms responsible for fitting flammable cladding.
How significant is the police investigation into the Grenfell fire?
Police state it is the largest and most complex investigation in the history of the London force.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category