Brings total number of cryptoassets available on the platform to 12
Move comes as investors increasingly seek to diversify
eToro, a global investment platform with over ten million registered users, has today added IOTA bringing the total number of cryptoassets available on the platform to 12.
IOTA aims to enable companies to explore and open up new business to business marketing opportunities by making every technological resource a potential service to be traded on an open market in real time, with no fees.
Unlike most cryptos the IOTA platform does not use a blockchain. Instead it is underpinned by a blockless technology its creators call “Tangle.” The IOTA Tangle ledger is able to settle transactions with zero fees so devices can trade exact amounts of resources on-demand, as well as store data from sensors and data-loggers securely and verified on the ledger. The cryptoasset aims to become the backbone of the Internet of Things (IoT).
The addition of IOTA comes as investors look to diversify their cryptocurrency portfolios, seeking new opportunities through altcoins. It will now be available on the eToro platform alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, XRP, Litecoin, Ethereum Classic, Dash, Stellar, EOS, Cardano and NEO.
Crypto investors on eToro own the actual cryptoasset with eToro acting as custodians of the coins.
IOTA will also be added to eToro’s Crypto CopyFund, which uses CFDs to enable investors to diversify across all available cryptocurrencies (weighted by market cap) with just one click.
Yoni Assia, Co-founder and CEO at eToro, commented: “At eToro we believe in diversification and we are committed to bringing more cryptoassets onto our platform for our users to invest in.
“Today, there are billions of devices that rely on the Internet of Things and this number is growing exponentially, with millions more new sensors added every week, as the planet becomes ever-more connected. IOTA aims to be the ‘ledger of everything’ by allowing data exchange between the sensor-equipped devices that populate IoT.”
Aston Martin says back on the road to profitability after 2020 loss
By Costas Pitas
LONDON (Reuters) – Aston Martin expects to almost double sales and move back towards profitability this year after sinking deeper into the red in 2020, when the luxury carmaker was hit by the pandemic, changed its boss and was forced to raise cash.
The British company’s shares jumped 9% in early Thursday trading after it kept a forecast for around 6,000 sales to dealers this year as new management turns around its performance.
The carmaker of choice for fictional secret agent James Bond has had a tough time since floating in 2018, as it failed to meet expectations and burnt through cash, prompting it to seek fresh investment from billionaire Executive Chairman Lawrence Stroll.
The firm made a 466-million pound ($660 million) loss last year, compared with a 120 million pound loss in 2019, as sales to dealers fell by 42% to 3,394 vehicles, hit by the closure of showrooms and factories due to COVID-19.
For 2021, it expects “to see the first steps towards improved profitability” but is still likely to post a pre-tax loss, the carmaker said.
“I am extremely pleased with the progress to date despite operating in these most challenging of times,” Stroll said.
Aston said demand for its first sport utility vehicle, the DBX, which rolled off the production line at its Welsh plant in 2020, was strong in a lucrative segment of the market it entered to widen its appeal.
The model accounted for 1,516 of deliveries to dealers last year and the company expects further growth in its first full-year of sales, including in the key market of China, where rivals such as Bentley are also seeing high demand.
“We had not even a half-year DBX production in wholesome so probably we are going to see over-proportional growth in China,” Chief Executive Tobias Moers, who took over in August, told Reuters.
($1 = 0.7065 pounds)
(Reporting by Costas Pitas. Editing by Estelle Shirbon and Mark Potter)
Oil prices hit 11-month highs on tighter supplies, Fed assurance on low rates
By Florence Tan
SINGAPORE (Reuters) – Oil prices rose for a fourth straight session on Thursday to the highest levels in more than 11 months, underpinned by monetary easing policies and lower crude production in the United States.
Brent crude futures for April gained 19 cents, 0.3%, to $67.23 a barrel by 0400 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude for April was at $63.30 a barrel, up 8 cents, 0.1%.
Both contracts touched their highest since January earlier in the session with Brent at $67.44 and WTI at $63.67.
An assurance from the U.S. Federal Reserve that interest rates would stay low for a while boosted investors’ risk appetite and global financial markets.
“Comments from Fed Chairman, Jerome Powell, earlier in the week relating to the need for monetary policy to remain accommodative have probably helped, but sentiment in the oil market has also become more bullish, with expectations for a tightening oil balance,” ING analysts said in a note.
A rare winter storm in Texas has caused U.S. crude production to drop by more than 10%, or 1 million barrels per day (bpd) last week, the Energy Information Administration said. [EIA/S]
Fuel supplies in the world’s largest oil consumer could also tighten as its refinery crude inputs had dropped to the lowest since September 2008.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and their allies including Russia, a group known as OPEC+, is due to meet on March 4.
The group will discuss a modest easing of oil supply curbs from April given a recovery in prices, OPEC+ sources said, although some suggest holding steady for now given the risk of new setbacks in the battle against the pandemic.
Extra voluntary cuts by Saudi Arabia in February and March have tightened global supplies and supported prices.
(Reporting by Florence Tan)
Australian media reforms pass parliament after last-ditch changes
By Colin Packham and Swati Pandey
CANBERRA (Reuters) – The Australian parliament on Thursday passed a new law designed to force Alphabet Inc’s Google and Facebook Inc to pay media companies for content used on their platforms in reforms that could be replicated in other countries.
Australia will be the first country where a government arbitrator will decide the price to be paid by the tech giants if commercial negotiations with local news outlets fail.
The legislation was watered down, however, at the last minute after a standoff between the government and Facebook culminated in the social media company blocking all news for Australian users.
Subsequent amendments to the bill included giving the government the discretion to release Facebook or Google from the arbitration process if they prove they have made a “significant contribution” to the Australian news industry.
Some lawmakers and publishers have warned that could unfairly leave smaller media companies out in the cold, but both the government and Facebook have claimed the revised legislation as a win.
“The code will ensure that news media businesses are fairly remunerated for the content they generate, helping to sustain public-interest journalism in Australia,” Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said in a joint statement on Thursday.
The progress of the legislation has been closely watched around the world as countries including Canada and Britain consider similar steps to rein in the dominant tech platforms.
The revised code, which also includes a longer period for the tech companies to strike deals with media companies before the state intervenes, will be reviewed within one year of its commencement, the statement said. It did not provide a start date.
The legislation does not specifically name Facebook or Google. Frydenberg said earlier this week he will wait for the tech giants to strike commercial deals with media companies before deciding whether to compel both to do so under the new law.
Google has struck a series of deals with publishers, including a global content arrangement with News Corp, after earlier threatening to withdraw its search engine from Australia over the laws.
Several media companies, including Seven West Media, Nine Entertainment and the Australian Broadcasting Corp have said they are in talks with Facebook.
Representatives for both Google and Facebook did not immediately respond to requests from Reuters for comment on Thursday.
(Reporting by Colin Packham in Canberra and Swati Pandey in Sydney; Writing by Jonathan Barrett; Editing by Leslie Adler, Stephen Coates and Jane Wardell)
BAE Systems eyes more growth in 2021, confident on long-term
By Sarah Young LONDON (Reuters) – British defence company BAE Systems forecast another year of growth in 2021, helped by...
Aston Martin says back on the road to profitability after 2020 loss
By Costas Pitas LONDON (Reuters) – Aston Martin expects to almost double sales and move back towards profitability this year...
Daimler truck unit to focus on CO2-neutral technology
BERLIN (Reuters) – German luxury carmaker Daimler said on Wednesday that its plan to spin off Daimler Trucks will allow...
Outsourcer Serco resumes dividend, raises 2021 outlook on NHS boost
(Reuters) – Serco Group Plc reinstated a dividend and raised its 2021 forecasts on Thursday, after the British outsourcer posted...
UK’s Primark owner warns of 1.1 billion pound lockdown hit to sales
LONDON (Reuters) – Associated British Foods warned on Thursday it expected to lose sales worth 1.1 billion pounds ($1.6 billion)...