Etsy is an incredible platform to start your creative business- be it designing wedding cards, hand-knitting dog booties, or finding best mid-century treasures at the local flea market. By opening a shop on Etsy, you associate yourself with a thriving community of curators, craftspeople and makers. Opening your shop might sound daunting with new concepts, strategies, and terminology to learn and can feel pretty much like a maiden voyage into a foreign country[i]. However, opening up a shop at Etsy is rather straightforward and free of complications and can provide a comfortable home for your products.
STEPS FOR OPENING UP AN ETSY SHOP
- Gather essentials and set your shop preferences: Click on to ‘Sell on Etsy’ link and set the default language for the description of your products. Also, set your home country and the currency in which your items will be listed. Download the quick-start checklist to gather the building blocks for your new business, like photos, item prices, and bank account routing number. Get the checklist athttp://extfiles.etsy.com/SellerActivation/Quickstartchecklist.pdft.
- Name your shop: This is the first step to getting creative and the first step where new sellers often stumble. Your shop’s name should be intriguing but also easy to recall for the customer and should reflect on the products and values of the shop. It is advisable to add the word ‘shop’ or ‘boutique,’ your location, and even your initials at the end of the shop’s name. The name must follow the Etsy’s guidelines, which are, four to twenty characters long, without any space or special characters, unused by another Etsy seller, without any trademark infringements and no profanities[ii].
- Add items and listings to the shop: The basics to list a tangible, physical item o Etsy are as follows:
- Add photos: Etsy recommends that at least five pictures per item should be used. This will enable customers to see the products from different angles, and the size of the photo should be at least 1,000 pixels square.
- Adjust the thumbnail: Thumbnail is the first item of the image that the customer sees in the shop. So, it is essential to have an impressive thumbnail for the product.
- Complete your listing details: The product should be given a title, describing the product in as much detail as possible but staying within the 140 characters limit. There is also a scope to provide an in-depth description, a bulleted overview of the product, and several other additional details like the product’s type and category.
- Complete the inventory and pricing: Complete the details regarding the price, applicable taxes, quantity and variants of size, material, color, etc. if available for the product.
- Set your shipping price: Include all the necessary details about the shipping processes like the cost of shipping, country of origin of the product, processing time taken, size and weight of the product, etc.
- Publish your listings: The listings can be previewed before listing them for the customers to see how they look.
- Select your payment preferences: Choose how you prefer to accept payments. PayPal, cheques, money order, Etsy money, credit cards, debit cards, Etsy gift cards, store credits, etc. are some of the commonly used payment procedures.
- Customize your shop: Since it is a digital platform, an Etsy shop needs to be beautifully curated, intuitively organized, regularly updated, and made easy to find.
Following these easy steps, you can ensure a smooth opening of your shop at Etsy.