Even though satisfaction rates are high for current mobile networks, when asked about 5G, the majority of respondents agreed they are aware of 5G and anxious to experience everything it may offer, most notably faster speeds, a new report from Transaction Network Services (TNS) found, which reported the findings of an independent survey* carried out on US adults.
TNS The Race for 5G Report: Consumers Confirm They Want Better Wireless Connectivity reveals the strong desire for 5G and increasing data consumption demands, especially from Generations Y and Z.
The report identifies:
- Satisfaction with current mobile networks “ nearly 75% feel their current network meets their needs
- Willingness to upgrade “ 3 in 4 are willing to upgrade when 5G is available even though they are satisfied with their current network
- Under 34s lead the way – 83% of the 18 to 34 years age group said they were willing to upgrade to a 5G capable device and 5G access plan if its not too expensive
- Large data consumption packages in demand – Almost a third of those surveyed, 31%, agreed that 4G/LTE services did not meet their data consumption needs, rising from 24% in 2016
- Lack of coverage causing subscribers to switch – 25% of respondents said they have switched between mobile cell phone carriers due to the lack of 4G/LTE coverage, the highest percentage of those who had switched was the 25-34 years age group at 41%
Our research shows an increase in the number of consumers willing to upgrade to a 5G capable device and 5G access plan. This will put significant pressure on mobile operators to stay one step ahead and focus on competitively being able to offer the latest technology, said Bill Versen, Chief Product Officer at TNS. The combination of speed, responsiveness and reach could unlock the full capabilities of other hot trends in technology, offering a boost to self-driving cars, drones, virtual reality and the internet of things.
WANT TO BUILD A FINANCIAL EMPIRE?
Subscribe to the Global Banking & Finance Review Newsletter for FREE Get Access to Exclusive Reports to Save Time & Money
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. We Will Not Spam, Rent, or Sell Your Information.
TNS Data Services Hub enables operators to accelerate the deployment of 4G LTE and VoLTE technology and expand their national and international LTE and VoLTE roaming footprint. 5G is widely expected to provide 20 times the peak data speed, 10 times lower latency, and 3 times more spectral efficiency. Mobile Operators could further leverage the Data Services Hub for non-standalone 5G by combining LTE and 5G New Radio through the existing Hub 4G deployments to rapidly deploy 5G mobile services. Rapid 5G deployment combined with technology neutral roaming agreements through the LTE Roaming Hub provides an optimal path for 5G evolution.
Versen adds, Competition is intense among mobile carriers with extremely strong, targeted trade-in-programs created to entice todays tech savvy consumers, especially gen Y and Z who grew up with smart phones. As the hungriest for 5G and all it has to offer, it is these groups who mobile operators should be targeting as their spending power increases over time and they make up a larger percentage of the overall subscriber base.
Since its founding in 1990, TNS has grown to provide services in more than 60 countries across the Americas, Europe and the Asia Pacific region, and offers 24x7x365 support via its Network Operating Centers in the US, UK and Australia. For more information about TNS please visit www.tnsi.com.
* KANTAR TNS commissioned a US survey in August 2018 on behalf of Transaction Network Services. The survey interviewed 1,050 US adults. The survey was conducted by online self-completion interview between 23rdh “ 28th August 2018 by Kantar TNS. The survey is designed to be nationally representative of adults interviewed per country. The surveys use a quota sample based on age interlocked within gender, and a regional quota. Post fieldwork correctional weighting within age, gender and region, has been used to ensure the representativeness of the survey.
About Transaction Network Services:
Transaction Network Services (TNS) is a leading global provider of data communications and interoperability solutions. TNS offers a broad range of networks and innovative value-added services which enable transactions and the exchange of information in diverse industries such as retail, banking, payment processing, telecommunications and the financial markets.
Founded in 1990 in the United States, TNS has grown steadily and now provides services in over 60 countries across the Americas, Europe and the Asia Pacific region, with our reach extending to many more. TNS has designed and implemented multiple data networks which support a variety of widely accepted communications protocols and are designed to be scalable and accessible by multiple methods.
T: +1 703 814 8065
E: [email protected]