The “Signals Ahead: 5G Standardization Update Post RAN#81 Plenary” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
SRG recently attended the RAN#81 Plenary, held in Gold Coast, Australia. 3GPP continues to work on Release 15, Release 16, and now it is doing some initial work on Release 17. While the little things that remain for Release 15 may seem trivial, they shouldn’t be overlooked given the date, and the planned 5G NR launches for later this year and early 2019.
UE Features Defined
3GPP finally determined which user equipment (UE) features are mandatory versus optional for Release 15. Good news for interoperability, but a bit late in the game since vendors now need to implement these decisions.
WANT TO BUILD A FINANCIAL EMPIRE?
Subscribe to the Global Banking & Finance Review Newsletter for FREE Get Access to Exclusive Reports to Save Time & Money
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. We Will Not Spam, Rent, or Sell Your Information.
Although the work is very preliminary, we discuss some of the new study items that SA is pursuing for Release 17. Look for a Release 17 timeline in December.
The Verticals are in the House
The automotive and industrial automation industries are showing their influence on the future of 5G NR. We discuss.
Although the implications are really about improved optimization, another pressing matter pertained to how the UE allocates power between LTE and 5G NR. No final decisions, but we’re getting closer.
Marketing Decisions Abound
We’ll likely say goodbye to the use of categories to define 5G NR UE/chipset capabilities. There is also the matter of 3 bits versus 1 bit to transmit the 5G status of the mobile device. The issue isn’t technical and it sounds trivial, but the operator community is split. We discuss.
The Road Ahead
We will be testing 5GTF next week in Houston and massive MIMO (LTE) before the end of the month. And did we mention that IoT lab testing is ongoing with field testing starting later in the year? Lots in store for future Signals Ahead reports.
Key Topics Covered
1. 5G Standardization
- 5G from a 3GPP Perspective (ongoing series of reports – published quarterly or as warranted)
2. Thematic Reports
- Mobile Edge Computing and the impact of data caching at the cell edge
- LTE and the Connected Car
- Cloud RAN
- LTE-Advanced Pro features, opportunities and challenges
3. Benchmark Studies
- Multiple 5G Benchmark studies
- OTA Benchmark Study of smartphones, part II (TM2, etc.)
- VoLTE Part Seven – VoLTE voice quality update study
- Network impacts (to include signaling) of using various smartphone OS platforms and/or applications (video, VoLTE, social networking, etc.)
- Uplink CoMP network benchmark study
- Massive MIMO
- IoT-Benchmark Study (Lab)
- IoT-Benchmark Study (Field)
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/4msk7g/signals_head_5g?w=4
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
and 5G, Networks