Shinichi Sato Named Deputy Head of Investment Banking, Erik Codrington Appointed Head of Structured Finance
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG), one of the world’s leading financial institutions, today announced that Jon Lindenberg has been promoted to Head of Investment Banking for the Americas.
Mr. Lindenberg, who previously was the Deputy Head of Investment Banking and Head of Structured Finance, will report to Kevin Cronin, MUFG’s Head of U.S. Wholesale and Investment Banking for the Americas. Mr. Lindenberg succeeds Fumitaka “Hama” Nakahama, who will return to Tokyo as Head of the Global Corporate and Investment Banking Planning division, effective July 1.
“This is a well-deserved promotion for Jon,” said Mr. Cronin. “With more than 30 years of experience and a strong record of accomplishment, I am confident he can successfully lead our investment bank on the next phase of its journey.
“At the same, we will miss our friend, Hama, who oversaw numerous significant advances in investment banking areas such as Project Finance, Funds Finance, and Collateralized Loan Obligations (CLO) warehousing during his tenure with MUFG Americas,” Mr. Cronin added. “Hama has consistently demonstrated his unwavering commitment to the bank, our clients, and our colleagues. I am comforted by the fact that his considerable talents will continue to be utilized on behalf of MUFG’s global franchise.”
MUFG also announced other moves within its Investment Banking group:
- Shinichi Sato, currently Deputy General Manager of MUFG’s Investment Banking Credit Division in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, will relocate from London to New York to take over as Deputy Head of Investment Banking for the Americas; and
- Erik Codrington, a Managing Director in the Structured Finance group, has been appointed Head of Structured Finance.
Messrs. Lindenberg and Codrington began their new roles on May 15, 2018; Mr. Sato’s new responsibilities become effective as of June 8, 2018.
Under Mr. Lindenberg’s leadership since 2012, the Structured Finance franchise has topped the Thomson Reuters league tables for the last nine years. Other notable achievements attained during his time as Head of Structured finance include:
- Placing No. 1 in Project Finance International‘s rankings for Top Bond Arranger in 2017;
- Being selected as Global Bond House of the Year and Corporate Issuer of the Year for 2017 by Project Finance International; and
- Being recognized as 2017’s Top Lead Arranger for clean energy and energy smart technologies financings by Bloomberg New Energy Finance for the second consecutive year, and the sixth time in the past eight years.
Named Deputy Head of Investment Banking for the Americas in 2016, Mr. Lindenberg joined MUFG in 2009 after spending 18 years with Citigroup. He earned a B.S. in Economics, with high distinction, from Indiana University; and has an MBA, with highest honors, from the University of Michigan’s Graduate School of Business.
Mr. Sato has worked in a number of corporate and investment banking areas, and in several securities businesses including securitization, aviation, and debt research over the course of his 24-year career at MUFG. He received a Master’s degree in Finance with a concentration in Financial Engineering from London Business School, and earned an MBA with distinction from the University of Oxford.
Mr. Codrington has more than 25 years of experience in financing large-scale energy and infrastructure projects throughout the Americas, including advisory, debt capital markets, and syndicated loans. Mr. Codrington joined MUFG in 2011 after working at Citigroup and JPMorgan; he also served four years as an officer in the U.S. Navy. He is a graduate of Cornell University, and earned an MBA from The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University.
Both Messrs. Sato and Codrington will report to Mr. Lindenberg.