If you are looking for a dream job, the first thing is to find it. You need to look for job openings so that you can apply for the job. There are several different ways you can look for a job.
- Look for job listings
The traditional way of finding a job is through job listings posted by the employer. These job listings are available as advertisements in newspapers and magazines. The advertisements are usually posted online on the company’s website and on job portals. In fact, job websites are one the best resources for job listings. They contain a complete and comprehensive list of jobs from various sources. You can register with top websites like Monster, Indeed, and Glassdoor to find jobs.
You can set up search criteria related to your skill areas. You can set alerts for your criteria so that whenever any job related to your area of expertise is posted, you will get an alert through message or email. Most companies today prefer to list vacancies on websites, rather than through newspaper ads.
So, make sure you register at the top job portals, so you can find details of the best job openings available. Some websites allow you to directly apply for the job through their web listing. This saves you the trouble of sending an email or letter for each vacancy.
- Use job search effectively
The job search function on job websites can help you find the dream job you are looking on. There are hundreds of job vacancies advertised. You need to use keywords effectively to find the job that suits you and to save time browsing through all vacancies advertised. If you are looking for a marketing job, then apart from the search string “marketing job”, you also to need to search for “sales job”. The job that you are looking for maybe in either of these categories.
Job search options have advanced features where you can specify criteria to filter jobs to find the ones best suited for you. Criteria like place of work, work experience, qualification, and salary can be used to filter the job list to find the jobs most suited for you.
- Tap into the power of social media
One of the top social media websites for careers is LinkedIn. This website allows you to post your profile and professional credentials online. You can also connect with other professionals, with whom you have worked with or associated. This helps you build a network that will be handy when you are trying to find a job. People with whom you have worked can post recommendation or endorsements of your skills and experience. This can be useful after you apply for a job.
Apart from the connections, LinkedIn also advertises jobs. You can search and apply for jobs through this social media network. Popular social media sites like Facebook can also be helpful. It helps you network with people, who can let you know of job vacancies. There are many pages and groups created especially for jobseekers. You can follow/join these pages or groups and find out about job vacancies. You can also follow the social media pages of top companies as vacancies are sometimes advertised this way.
- Try a cold pitch
If you know a company that is good and where you would like to work, go ahead and apply. They may not have called for job applications. Officially, there may be no vacancies, but you can still go ahead and apply. This is a cold pitch, where you reach out to a company and send your resume with a cover letter indicating your interest in working for them.
Even if there is no immediate opening, if they like your resume, they would keep it on standby. If a vacancy comes up, they may not even advertise it, but use existing resumes to fill the vacancy. It makes sense to send your resume to companies through a cold pitch. You can even walk into a company and hand over your resume at the reception. You can request an appointment with the HR manager. If she is free and agrees to meet, you get a chance to be interviewed even without a vacancy.
If you impress the people you meet, they will keep you in mind the next time there is a vacancy. Many times, someone may have just resigned,or the company may be planning to sack an employee. If you can get in at that time, it may help you find a job and get it, even without going through the recruitment process. A cold pitch can definitely be of use.
- Apply for the job once you find it
Once you find a job listing that interests you, the next step is to apply for it. Here’s how you can approach it:
- Go through the advertisement. Also, visit the company website for more details. This will help you understand the job description for the vacancy required. It can help you find out what they are looking for.
- Before you apply, you can go through the social media pages of the company and reviews on sites like Glassdoor. It will help you find out if the company would suit you.
- You can tailor your cover letter and resume according to the job description before sending it. Nowadays, most companies prefer email applications. Some companies require that you apply for the job through their website by filling an online form. Most job websites also allow you to apply online.
- Make sure you provide references of at least three people who can vouch for you. They must not be members of your family. You can refer your senior colleagues, previous boss, or teachers, who would recommend you.
- Once you send the application, start preparing for the interview. Preparation and practice are what would help you clear an interview.
There are various ways of finding a job. Try them all so that you can find the dream job you always were looking for.