The importance of the job interview is well-known. This is where an employer meets potential employees. What happens during the interview decides if the candidate would get the job or not. Even before a single question is asked, it is possible to create a positive impact in the mind of the interview. This can happen by creating a good first impression through the dress worn and the body language of the candidate.
Dress, without a doubt, can create a positive impression on the interviewer. A well-dressed candidate would look perfectly suited for the job. If you were attending an interview and were wondering how to dress for it, this article will act asa guide to help you decide what to wear.
The dress you need to wear depends on the dress code of the company that has called you for an interview. Imagine if you walk into the interview fully decked in a suit and the interviewer is wearing a T-shirtand jeans! It would create an awkward situation.If you are attending an interview, try to find out the dress code of the company. Older companies prefer a very formal dress code. New companies, especially startups are comfortable with a casual dress code.
You can visit the social media page of the company to take a look at photographs of employees on various occasions. That will help you get an idea of the company dress code. If you know who is going to interview you, visit her social media pages to understand how she dresses on most occasions. This would give you a hint on what type of a dress to wear.
If the company prefers a formal dress, then follow a professional dress code for the interview.
Men can wear a white or light-colored shirt (plain or light stripes) with a suit that matches the pant. Black, navy blue or grey are the best options for the suit and pant color. You need to wear well-polished shoes – black or brown would be the best choice. Wear dark colored socks (preferably plain without any design). A leather belt to match your suit color would be apt. When you wear a suit, a tie is mandatory. Select a tie that looks professional, like a striped tie. Make sure the suit fits you perfectly. The shirt and pant need to be properly pressed.
Women can wear a white or light-colored blouse or shirt with a skirt. The skirt can be knee-length and should match with the suit. Ideally, a navy blue, black, or grey suit would be perfect for an interview. You can also wear a pant instead of a skirt. The shoes you wear should look conservative. Avoid wearing too much jewelry.
A semi-formal dress code is also referred to as the business casual dress. Men can wear cotton or wool pants. Khaki pants are also good for a semi-formal interview. A shirt that is pressed and worn long-sleeves is preferred. It can be any color but avoid bright colors. A sweater can be worn over the shirt or you can even wear a blazer. The belt and shoes should match and can be black or brown. The tie can be done away with.
Women can wear knee-length skirts or cotton or corduroy pants. A cardigan or sweater can be worn over the shirt or blouse. Either a light or dark color dress can be worn. However, too bright colors must be avoided. Sandals or shoes should be worn. You can even wear a blazer over your dress for a business casual interview.
Startups promoted by young entrepreneurs do not impose a dress code. Employees even turn up to work in shorts. That doesn’t mean that you do the same. If the dress code for the interview is casual, then you can wear a plain t-shirt and jeans that fit you well. A blazer over the T-shirt can be worn if the interviewer is dressed similarly. Cotton blouse and jeans would be the ideal dress for women to wear for a casual interview.
Some important pointers to dress well for the interview
Here are some key points to keep in mind when you dress for the interview.
- Select a dress that fits you well and is neither too loose nor too tight. Take the opinion of a friend to tell you if the dress suits you.
- Avoid dresses that are too bright in color. Whatever may be the dress code for the interview, avoid wearing a dress that has designs on it. Choose a plain light or dark-colored dress or one with stripes on it.
- Make sure your hair is well combed and gives you a professional appearance.
- Avoid too much jewelry and other such accessories.
- Women should never wear dresses with plunging necklines or skirts that are too short. Avoid skintight dresses.
- Make sure your dress is dry cleaned and pressed the previous day, so you don’t have to spend too much time getting ready for the interview.
- Avoid wearing too much makeup.
- If you have tattoos, try to ensure they are hidden by your dress.
- Keep perfume and cologne light. Some people are allergic to strong scents. You wouldn’t want the interviewer to keep sneezing throughout the interview.
- Take care of your personal hygiene. Avoid eating or smoking before you enter the interview hall. Take a look at yourself in the mirror before leaving for the interview.
- Don’t chew gum during an interview or carry a cup of coffee with you when you enter the interview room. It can make the interviewer feel that you are too casual.
- Men should shave before attending the interview, unless they have a full beard.
- Carry a bag or briefcase with your documents and a copy of your resume. It should look professional.
When you dress professionally for an interview, you not only look good but would also feel good and can be confident while facing the interview.