UN refugee agency says $1 million worth of aid lost in Russian strike in Ukraine - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

UN refugee agency says $1 million worth of aid lost in Russian strike in Ukraine

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 22, 2026

2 min read

· Last updated: May 22, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

UN Refugee Agency Loses $1 Million in Aid After Russian Strike on Ukraine Warehouse

Details of the Russian Strike and Its Impact on Humanitarian Aid

GENEVA, May 22 (Reuters) - The United Nations refugee agency on Friday said it had lost $1 million worth of aid when a Russian missile struck one of its warehouses in Dnipro in eastern Ukraine earlier this week. 

Destruction of Emergency Supplies

The warehouse, which contained emergency shelter materials, including sleeping mats, and hygiene kits was destroyed on Wednesday, and two people were killed, Bernadette Castel-Hollingworth, the UNCHR Representative in Kyiv, said via video link from Poland.

Impact on Displaced and War-Affected Populations

The supplies were destined to be distributed to displaced and war-affected people in frontline areas in Ukraine, and deprive people of critical assistance at a time of significant need as forced displacement and evacuations continue from frontline regions, according to UNHCR.

First Targeted Attack on a UNHCR Facility

"It is significant for us, because it is the first time that a UNHCR facility is being targeted or attacked," Castel-Hollingworth said.

Broader Trend of Attacks on Humanitarian Convoys

UNHCR said it was part of a broader trend of attacks on humanitarian convoys.

Recent Attacks on UN Convoys

Last week, two clearly marked UN convoys with humanitarian workers were hit by drones: one truck was delivering aid in the Dnipropetrovsk region, while a convoy on the way to Ostriv in the Kherson region was also targeted, UNHCR said.

(Reporting by Olivia Le Poidevin, editing by Thomas Seythal)

Key Takeaways

  • Approximately 900 pallets of UNHCR aid valued at over $1 million were destroyed in the May 19 Dnipro warehouse strike, the first time a UNHCR facility has been hit since the 2022 invasion (unhcr.org).
  • Two warehouse workers were killed and others injured when the missile hit, underscoring escalating risks to humanitarian infrastructure and personnel (unhcr.org).
  • The attack occurred amid a broader surge in strikes on humanitarian convoys—including recent drone attacks on clearly marked UN missions in Dnipropetrovsk and Kherson regions—raising alarm over violations of international humanitarian law (unhcr.org).

References

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened to the UNHCR warehouse in Dnipro, Ukraine?
A Russian missile strike destroyed the UNHCR warehouse in Dnipro, resulting in the loss of $1 million worth of aid and the deaths of two people.
What type of aid was lost in the missile strike?
The aid included emergency shelter materials, sleeping mats, and hygiene kits meant for displaced and war-affected people.
Was this the first time a UNHCR facility was targeted?
Yes, according to UNHCR, this is the first time one of its facilities was directly attacked.
Have other humanitarian convoys been targeted recently in Ukraine?
Yes, two UN convoys with humanitarian workers were hit by drones in the Dnipropetrovsk and Kherson regions last week.
Why is the loss of this aid significant for Ukraine?
The aid was critical for people displaced by conflict and its loss deprives frontline communities of essential assistance they urgently need.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category