Allocator Hosts Global CIO Summit at St Andrews
Allocator (formerly HedgePo) last week hosted its annual Global Chief Investment Officer Summit (“Summit”) at the Fairmont St Andrews Bay Hotel. The Summit is unique in bringing together key investment decision makers, cutting edge CEOs and leading academics. The speakers discussed the disruptive trends that are shaping our world and the consequential investment opportunities and risks that will be faced in 2016 and the coming decade.
Each speaker delivered a brief ‘TED style’ talk, focussing on long-term investment themes and possible future market issues. Disruptive trends they highlighted for investors and fund managers to watch out for in 2016 and the coming decade include:
WANT TO BUILD A FINANCIAL EMPIRE?
Subscribe to the Global Banking & Finance Review Newsletter for FREE Get Access to Exclusive Reports to Save Time & Money
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. We Will Not Spam, Rent, or Sell Your Information.
Cornelia Meyer, Chairman at Gasol Plc, CEO of MRL Corporation and member of the World Economic Forum`s Global Agenda Council for Energy Security:
- Oil prices will overshoot in the next 18 months.
Dr. Arnab Banerji, Chairman of Collabrium Capital and former Senior Policy Advisor on Economic Affairs to Prime Minister Tony Blair:
- China’s GDP growth is likely to have fallen from 10% to 5%, which is equivalent to the UK falling from 2% to recession.
- In the last 4 years China has used as much concrete in construction as the USA did over the last 100 years. A skyscraper was built in 19 days!
Jeffrey Bower, United Nations Digital Payments & Financial Inclusion Specialist:
- In the last 5 years 700m+ people have opened a digital financial services account, bringing in emerging markets.
- 78% of the Developing World still do not have credit scores.
- All 4 telecom companies in Canada have applied for banking licences and got them – this is very disruptive for the banks. The developed world is playing catch up to the developing world on this.
Edward Perello, Founder of Desktop Genetics:
- It cost $3bn over 13 years to sequence the first human genome from 2000-2013.
- DNA sequencing now costs $1000 and it takes half a day.
Hilary Natoff, Portfolio Manager at Fidelity Investments:
- In 2030-40 there will be more people in the world over 60 than under 15 years old.
- We are living through history’s largest ever urbanisation wave
- By 2100, 89% of the world’s population will be in today’s emerging markets
- Global population growth is now slower than the last 10 years and the global dependence ratio became adverse in 2013 for the first time in the history of the world.
Nick Irish, Global Head of Equities at UBS Asset Management:
– Japan is changing. Japanese corporate earnings have doubled in the last 4 years; 40% due to FX, but 60% due to structural changes in firms.
Hussein Kanji, Partner at Hoxton Ventures:
- There are 219 tech unicorns. 2/3 are in the private market.
- Europe is a leader in mobile technology, music streaming and distribution platforms.
- 39 venture capital funds are raising capital in London at the moment – more than ever.
- The European Venture Capital market hasn’t caught up with the US and Israel
- A US startup can expect to raise 3-4x as much capital as a similar European one. But this is changing.
Set in the legendary grounds of St Andrews, the Summit is an opportunity for the decision makers to exchange ideas with their peers and engage in debate with inspiring thought leaders. Whilst having the opportunity to indulge in various outdoor activities, including golf on the famous championship course.
Allocator used the opportunity to announce its name change to attendees with David Tawil, Co-Founder, stating: “Our company was built by investors, from the perspective of investors. We know the problems they face. We’re on their side. Our solutions work across asset classes. We’re Allocator.”
Allocator provides an effortless solution to the management of fund data. The streamlined network-based process gives investors access to the information they need, in real time and in a format that’s useful to them. The platform is already used by over 650 institutional investors and family offices; and has over 1600 funds on board, equivalent to data on over $4trn of assets.
David Tawil, Co-Founder, said: “The summit is a unique event that merges the leading minds in finance with thinkers and entrepreneurs in other sectors over two days of discussion and networking. Speakers participate because they have the opportunity to share their insights with some of the most influential investors from around the world.”
650 institutional investors and family offices; and has over 1600 funds on board, equivalent to data on over $4trn of assets.
The platform provides a means for fund managers to permission and pipe information to current and prospective investors. Investors have valuable information at their disposal and functionality to be able to garner meaningful insights. Funds have also been able to raise capital successfully through the portal.