Soccer-Werder Bremen cancel U.S. trip amid concerns over ICE actions in Minnesota
Published by Global Banking & Finance Review®
Posted on February 20, 2026
2 min readLast updated: February 20, 2026

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review®
Posted on February 20, 2026
2 min readLast updated: February 20, 2026

Werder Bremen scrapped a May U.S. tour to Minnesota and Detroit, citing ICE-related unrest, stricter entry rules and financial risks. The Bundesliga club said the trip conflicted with team values amid a tough relegation battle.
Feb 20 (Reuters) - German soccer club Werder Bremen have cancelled a trip to the United States due to concerns over unrest in Minnesota following the actions of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement as well as economic risks, a club spokesperson told Reuters on Friday.
The top-flight team were planning to visit Minnesota and Detroit in May and play two friendly matches, according to media reports in the U.S. and Germany.
However, the Bundesliga club decided to cancel the visit amid growing concerns about the actions of ICE, after two U.S. citizens were shot dead by federal agents last month.
"It is correct that we cancelled a planned trip to Minnesota in the United States. There were sporting, economic and political reasons for this," a Werder Bremen spokesperson said.
"Playing in a city where there is unrest and people have been shot does not fit with our values. Furthermore, it was unclear to us which players would be able to enter the USA at all due to the stricter entry requirements."
Bremen's struggles in the Bundesliga, where they are battling to avoid relegation as they languish in 16th place, which is the relegation playoff spot, were also a factor in making the decision, the spokesperson said.
"We are currently facing a very challenging sporting situation, which also makes planning such a trip difficult. There have also been certain economic risks," he added.
Bremen, without a win in their last 12 Bundesliga matches, have 19 points ahead of Sunday's visit to second-from-bottom side St Pauli, who have 17 also from 22 games.
(Reporting by Chiranjit Ojha in Bengaluru; Editing by Ken Ferris)
Werder Bremen canceled a planned U.S. tour, citing unrest linked to ICE actions in Minnesota, along with economic risks and logistical concerns.
The club pointed to safety and political concerns after ICE-related unrest in Minnesota, uncertainty around stricter U.S. entry rules, and financial risk.
Media reports indicated friendlies were planned in Minnesota and Detroit during May.
Yes. Bremen’s challenging Bundesliga season and relegation worries made planning an overseas tour more difficult.
Explore more articles in the Headlines category

