Modena car-ramming suspect not linked to terror groups, Italian minister says - Headlines news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Headlines

Modena car-ramming suspect not linked to terror groups, Italian minister says

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on May 18, 2026

2 min read

· Last updated: May 18, 2026

Add as preferred source on Google

Italian Minister: Modena Car-Ramming Suspect Had No Terrorist Group Links

Details of the Modena Car-Ramming Incident

Overview of the Attack

MILAN, May 18 (Reuters) - A man who drove a car into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people, four of them seriously, appears to have no links to any terrorist groups, Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi said in a newspaper interview on Monday.

Suspect's Identity and Actions

• Salim El Koudri, a 31-year-old Italian man of Moroccan origin, attempted to flee and stabbed one of three people who tried to stop him, before being arrested by police.

Investigation Findings

• "At this stage, there are no indications of structured Islamist radicalisation and he does not appear to be linked to fundamentalist propaganda networks," Piantedosi told daily Il Giornale.

• He added that searches of El Koudri's phone, "have so far not revealed elements consistent with the typical profile of a terrorist planning violent acts."

Context and Reactions

Vehicle Attacks in Italy and Worldwide

• Attacks using vehicles to drive into crowds have become more common worldwide, but this was the first of its kind in Italy.

Suspect's Background

Mental Health and Motivations

• Piantedosi said El Koudri, who was born and brought up in Italy, had been diagnosed as having "a schizoid personality disorder" and had "expressed resentment and dissatisfaction with his work and social condition."

Political Response

• Italy's far-right League party, part of Giorgia Meloni's ruling coalition, has heightened its anti-immigrant rhetoric since Saturday's incident.

Reporting Credits

(Reporting by Gianluca Semeraro, editing by Gavin Jones and Alexandra Hudson)

Key Takeaways

  • The suspect, Salim El Koudri, an Italian of Moroccan origin, showed no signs of radicalisation or extremist ties according to phone searches and home raids (apnews.com)
  • Authorities note his history of schizoid personality disorder, with treatment ending around 2024 after a gap from mental health services (apnews.com)
  • Political reactions underscore broader themes: government urges caution against simplistic migrant‑based framing, while far‑right voices amplify anti‑immigrant sentiments (apnews.com)

References

Frequently Asked Questions

Was the Modena car-ramming suspect linked to any terrorist groups?
No, according to Italy's Interior Minister, the suspect had no links to terrorist groups.
How many people were injured in the Modena car-ramming incident?
Eight people were injured, four of them seriously, in the Modena car-ramming.
Who is the main suspect in the Modena car-ramming?
The main suspect is Salim El Koudri, a 31-year-old Italian man of Moroccan origin.
Did the police find evidence of radicalisation in the suspect's phone?
No, searches of the suspect's phone have not revealed evidence of radicalisation or terrorist planning.
What diagnosis has been reported for the Modena suspect?
The suspect was diagnosed with a schizoid personality disorder and expressed dissatisfaction with his life situation.

Tags

Related Articles

More from Headlines

Explore more articles in the Headlines category