Italy's RAI apologises after latest gaffe targets Israeli bobsleigh team
Published by Global Banking & Finance Review®
Posted on February 21, 2026
2 min readLast updated: February 21, 2026

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review®
Posted on February 21, 2026
2 min readLast updated: February 21, 2026

RAI apologised after an off‑air voice urged avoiding the Israeli bobsleigh crew before a Milano Cortina 2026 event. CEO Giampaolo Rossi opened an inquiry; Rai Sport’s chief had already resigned over opening‑ceremony gaffes.
By Andrea Mandala
MILAN, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Italy's state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologise to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to "avoid" the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.
The head of RAI's sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.
On Saturday, viewers heard "Let's avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one" and then "no, because ..." before the sound was cut off.
RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a "serious" breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.
He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.
In a separate statement RAI's board of directors condemned the remark as "unacceptable".
The board apologised to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.
RAI is the country's largest media organisation and operates national television, radio and digital news services.
The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca's opening ceremony commentary had dealt "a serious blow" to the company's credibility.
His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticised.
(Reporting by Andrea Mandalà; Editing by Alison Williams)
Italy’s public broadcaster RAI apologised after an off‑air instruction to avoid the Israeli bobsleigh team was accidentally aired before a Winter Olympics event, prompting an internal inquiry.
RAI issued a formal apology to viewers and the athletes and opened an internal investigation to determine responsibility and potential disciplinary measures.
The apology comes days after gaffe‑ridden opening‑ceremony commentary at Milano Cortina 2026 led Rai Sport’s chief to resign, intensifying scrutiny of RAI’s editorial standards.
Explore more articles in the Finance category