Connect with us
Global Banking and Finance Review is an online platform offering news, analysis, and opinion on the latest trends, developments, and innovations in the banking and finance industry worldwide. The platform covers a diverse range of topics, including banking, insurance, investment, wealth management, fintech, and regulatory issues. The website publishes news, press releases, opinion and advertorials on various financial organizations, products and services which are commissioned from various Companies, Organizations, PR agencies, Bloggers etc. These commissioned articles are commercial in nature. This is not to be considered as financial advice and should be considered only for information purposes. It does not reflect the views or opinion of our website and is not to be considered an endorsement or a recommendation. We cannot guarantee the accuracy or applicability of any information provided with respect to your individual or personal circumstances. Please seek Professional advice from a qualified professional before making any financial decisions. We link to various third-party websites, affiliate sales networks, and to our advertising partners websites. When you view or click on certain links available on our articles, our partners may compensate us for displaying the content to you or make a purchase or fill a form. This will not incur any additional charges to you. To make things simpler for you to identity or distinguish advertised or sponsored articles or links, you may consider all articles or links hosted on our site as a commercial article placement. We will not be responsible for any loss you may suffer as a result of any omission or inaccuracy on the website.

Top Stories



The UK government should abandon the existing rule that overseas pension transfer advice must be given by an FCA-authorised adviser, affirms the CEO of one of the world’s largest independent financial advisory organisations.

 The comments from Nigel Green, founder and chief executive of deVere Group, which specialises in Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pensions (QROPS), come as the Department for Work and Pensions last week launched a consultation on the issue.

 The aim of the consultation is “to gather information on how the requirement to take advice is working for overseas members, and whether the current process should be maintained or adapted, to work better for individuals who are moving or already resident overseas.”

 Mr Green says: “As part of the consultation, we will be writing to the government to set out our concerns that the current requirement to have advice given by an FCA-authorised adviser is not always in the best interest of the member.

 “The current rule has many negative unintended consequences and we will be urging the government to adapt the transfer process and allow local advice to be given for QROPS.”

He continues: “There are three key concerns about the existing requirement.

“First, a member often has to seek out two separate advisers – one who is FCA-authorised and another local one to advise on tax rules, timings and the appropriateness of the overseas pension transfer.  Clearly, this dual approach is both more expensive and time consuming for the member.

“Second, with advice being given in two different jurisdictions, there is a grey area over which takes precedence and where the ultimate responsibility lies should something go wrong. This puts the member at more risk than is necessary.

“And third, members who reside overseas might find it difficult to find an FCA-authorised adviser who is willing and able to provide the advice that is needed.”

The deVere CEO concludes: “The government should implement an alternative rule that a member wishing to transfer their pension out of their UK seek advice from a local adviser who is authorised in the member’s country of residence.

 “The local adviser would be typically better placed to advise on the regulatory conditions, tax implications and the available investment opportunities.  In addition, under this system, only one financial adviser would be required, which would be less costly and less time consuming for the member.”

Global Banking & Finance Review


Why waste money on news and opinions when you can access them for free?

Take advantage of our newsletter subscription and stay informed on the go!

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Global Banking & Finance Review │ Banking │ Finance │ Technology. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Recent Post