Aegis Secure Key 3NX brings down the cost of compliance – delivering next level features, widest range of capacities and cooler running temperatures at a lower price point
Apricorn, the leading manufacturer of software-free, 256-bit AES XTS hardware-encrypted USB storage devices, today announced the release of the Aegis Secure Key 3NX family.
Designed for high volume corporate deployments, the new devices have the same comprehensive feature set as the Secure Key 3z, plus a broader range of capacities from 2GB to 128GB. The device also operates at running temperatures that are around 25% cooler. Prices start from £46 per unit.
Apricorn developed the Aegis Secure Key 3NX family in response to the increasing demand for low cost, small form-factor encrypted storage devices. This demand is driven by the growing myriad of data privacy regulations, including the EU GDPR which specifically mandates the use of encryption as a means to protect personal data.
The new devices also make higher grade security more accessible to organisations of all types and sizes – allowing them to put the power of full data encryption into the hands of more employees for a lower investment.
Enhanced security features incorporated with in the Aegis Secure Key 3NX family include:
- PIN Guard: turns the device off to save power if the keypad is being pressed accidentally, for example in a suitcase or bag.
- RM/FD Toggle: a patent pending feature that allows the drive to be configured as either Removable Media or Fixed Disk, making the 3NX compatible with embedded systems designed to only recognise Removable Media storage devices. These systems are typically found on instrumentation, radios or other equipment that lacks a keyboard, which precludes the use of similar USB devices that employ software-based authentication.
“We set out to reduce the cost of this product group, while enhancing our existing security features,” said Jon Fielding, Managing Director, EMEA, Apricorn. “Beyond delivering lower price points across the board, we’ve expanded the range of capacities we offer on the lower end to better align with the needs of customers. In other words, if all you need are 2GB or 4GB drives, you don’t have to spend more than you need to on an 8GB.”
Standard features shared with the Secure Key 3z family include onboard keypad authentication, 256-bit AES XTS hardware encryption, complete cross-platform compatibility, read-only options, separate admin and user access, data recovery PINs, programmable PIN lengths, and Aegis Configurator compatibility.
The 3NX family is pending a FIPS 140-2 Level 3 validation which is expected later this year.
The security advantages of Apricorn’s hardware encrypted USB storage devices include:
- No software involved – so there’s nothing to keylog or to hack
- OS agnostic – completely cross platform compatible
- Onboard keypad – authentication takes place within the device itself
- All data, passwords and encryption keys are 256-bit encrypted at rest
- No host computer involved in setup, authentication or encryption
- Forced enrollment – no default PINs ensures that data is not put at risk by employees who fail to change the PIN before deployment
- IP-67 validated against water and dust damage.