Rio Tinto posts lowest Q1 iron ore shipments since 2019, tempers forecast - Finance news and analysis from Global Banking & Finance Review
Finance

Rio Tinto posts lowest Q1 iron ore shipments since 2019, tempers forecast

Published by Global Banking & Finance Review

Posted on April 15, 2025

3 min read

· Last updated: April 15, 2025

Add as preferred source on Google

Rio Tinto's Q1 Iron Ore Shipments Hit Lowest Since 2019

By Roushni Nair and Melanie Burton

(Reuters) - Rio Tinto on Wednesday reported its lowest first-quarter iron ore shipments since 2019 and warned that more weather disruptions could lead to a 2025 forecast miss, after cyclones impacted the miner's Pilbara operations.

The company now expects Pilbara iron ore shipments for 2025 to hit the lower end of its forecast range of 323 million to 338 million metric tons.

A series of tropical cyclones in the first quarter snarled activities at the Dampier port in the Pilbara region, with the company previously warning of total losses of 13 million tons of iron ore due to bad weather.

Rio Tinto has implemented recovery plans to recoup about half the weather-related losses at a cost of about A$150 million ($95 million) for repairs and additional contract mining across its Pilbara operations.

"Pilbara iron ore guidance remains subject to the timing of approvals for planned mining areas and heritage clearances. The system has limited ability to mitigate further losses from weather if incurred," the company said in a statement.

Shares of Rio Tinto fell 1.2% to A$110.14, in line with the 0.2% drop in the broader mining sector.

The miner has been struggling to consistently ramp up production while shipping more lower-grade ore as it prepares to bring its next generation of iron ore mines online.

It risks losing its position as the world's top iron ore producer if Brazil's Vale SA, which reported on Tuesday, achieves the upper end of its 325 million to 335 million tons guidance for 2025.

Rio Tinto's 2025 outlook of 323 million to 338 million tons excludes an expected 9.7 million to 11.4 million tons from its Canadian operations.

Meanwhile, copper production on a consolidated basis rose 16% to 210 thousand tons compared with a year ago, but fell 8% quarter-on-quarter.

At its Kennecott operation in Utah, copper production plunged 32% from the previous quarter due to unplanned conveyor failures, though it increased 7% year-on-year. The affected conveyor has since been restored to full functionality, the company said.

The world's largest iron ore producer shipped 70.7 million tons of the steel-making commodity from its Pilbara operations in the three-month period ended March 31, down from 78 million tons last year, and missed a Visible Alpha consensus estimate of 73.6 Mt.

($1 = 1.5785 Australian dollars)

(Reporting by Roushni Nair & Rajasik Mukherjee in Bengaluru and Melanie Burton in Sydney; Editing by Devika Syamnath and Sherry Jacob-Phillips)

Key Takeaways

  • Rio Tinto's Q1 iron ore shipments are the lowest since 2019.
  • Weather disruptions in Pilbara affect 2025 forecasts.
  • Cyclones caused significant losses at Dampier port.
  • Recovery plans to mitigate losses cost A$150 million.
  • Rio Tinto risks losing top producer status to Vale SA.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the main topic?
The article discusses Rio Tinto's lowest Q1 iron ore shipments since 2019 and the impact of weather disruptions on future forecasts.
How did weather affect Rio Tinto's operations?
Cyclones in Pilbara caused significant disruptions, leading to a forecast miss for 2025.
What are Rio Tinto's recovery plans?
Rio Tinto plans to recoup losses with repairs and contract mining, costing A$150 million.

Related Articles

More from Finance

Explore more articles in the Finance category