D2L, the global learning technology leader, together with Colleges and Institutes of Canada (CICan), today released its new whitepaper, The Future of Work & Learning in the Age of the 4th Industrial Revolution, which calls for a fundamental transformation in how we think about lifelong learning and skill development in a fast-changing world.
The convergence of disruptive technologies like nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, robotics, genetics, and 3D printing combined with the exponential shift that the Fourth Industrial Revolution brings is changing almost every industry and with it, the training and education needed to succeed in the world of work, said Jeremy Auger, Chief Strategy Officer, D2L. As such, educators and leaders have a duty to develop new models of learning to allow people to thrive in the new reality.
This release of the whitepaper focuses on the Canadian context and it makes the following recommendations:
- Align programs and credentials to labour market needs
- Prepare youth for the jobs of tomorrow by expanding work-integrated learning (WIL) opportunities
- Leverage industry as a partner
- Prioritize investments to ensure Canadas education system is an affordable, accessible, flexible, responsive and lifelong system
- Invest in rapid upskilling and reskilling programs that allow workers to retrain and develop their skills on an ongoing basis
- Improve labour market outcomes of Indigenous peoples and support economic development in Indigenous communities through increased support for learners and tailored programs
- Develop hybrid or customized programs with skill sets from different fields
- Explore application and recognition of stackable micro-credentials that provide value along the way, not only once a degree/diploma is earned
Faced with rapid and profound disruptions in almost all sectors of the economy, the time has come to rethink how and when we learn or acquire new skills to prepare ourselves for an ever-changing workplace, said Denise Amyot, President and CEO of CICan. All of us urgently need to embrace a culture of lifelong learning, which can be a challenge for both learners and postsecondary institutions. This new whitepaper offers invaluable insights that will help us all prepare for the future or work and learning.
This whitepaper is available at www.D2L.com/futureofwork.
WANT TO BUILD A FINANCIAL EMPIRE?
Subscribe to the Global Banking & Finance Review Newsletter for FREE Get Access to Exclusive Reports to Save Time & Money
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. We Will Not Spam, Rent, or Sell Your Information.
D2L believes learning is the foundation upon which all progress and achievement rests. Working closely with clients, D2L has transformed the way millions of people learn online and in the classroom. Learn more about D2L for schools, higher education and businesses at www.D2L.com.
2018 D2L Corporation.
The D2L family of companies includes D2L Corporation, D2L Ltd, D2L Australia Pty Ltd, D2L Europe Ltd, D2L Asia Pte Ltd and D2L Brasil Solu§µes de Tecnologia para Educa§£o Ltda. All D2L marks are trademarks of D2L Corporation. Please visit D2L.com/trademarks for a list of D2L marks.
Vice President Marketing