The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) today announced a new initiative with American Forests, the countrys oldest nonprofit conservation group, to plant a tree when personal lines customers choose paperless billing. The company will plant up to one million trees through April 2020, supporting the reforestation of endangered ecosystems in several states.
Our commitment to plant trees with American Forests will hopefully encourage more policyholders to go digital, said Michael Klein, Executive Vice President and President of Personal Insurance at Travelers. Paperless billing provides an added level of convenience for customers, while helping minimize our environmental impact through a reduction in paper consumption and our overall carbon footprint.
We are thrilled to work with Travelers on this ambitious commitment, which is one of American Forests largest corporate initiatives ever, said Jad Daley, President and CEO of American Forests. Travelers generous support will enable us to replant forests across some of Americas most important natural landscapes, restoring their capacity to collect and filter drinking water, provide wildlife habitat and naturally capture carbon emissions to slow climate change.
This partnership exemplifies how Travelers integrates climate-related issues into its business. Other examples include:
- Monitoring, assessing and responding to the risks posed by changing climate conditions in order to provide products and services that both help our customers mitigate those risks and meet our long-term financial objectives.
- Monitoring opportunities presented by evolving climate conditions and more environmentally friendly trends in order to provide insurance products and services that address our customers needs, such as green building coverages and discounts for fortified or LEED certified homes and hybrid/electric vehicles.
- Providing guidance to customers, including through the companys network of 600+ Risk Control consultants, to help customers prepare for natural disasters and mitigate the risks associated with changing climate conditions and/or with green products or systems they may have installed.
- Sponsoring the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS), the BuildStrong Coalition, Habitat for Humanity and the Wharton Risk Center to promote stronger building codes and more resilient communities and to influence industry standards and best practices; among other things, Travelers partners with Habitat for Humanity and IBHS to build affordable, IBHS FORTIFIED„¢ homes in coastal areas.
- Creating the annual Excellence in Community Resilience Award of $100,000 to recognize organizations that demonstrate leadership in addressing disaster preparedness and community resiliency.
- Continuously analyzing the companys impacts on the environment and looking for cost-effective ways to minimizing those impacts, such as by ensuring that all Travelers-owned campuses are ENERGY STAR certified and undergo an annual recertification process, and setting a goal to reduce the companys absolute Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 40% by 2020, based on a 2011 base year; as of the end of 2017, we have achieved 88% of this goal.
For more information and to sign up for paperless billing, visit travelers.com/paperless.
About Travelers The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has approximately 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $30 billion in 2018. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.
Sperry Mylott, 860.277.5075