Tanium, the provider of endpoint management and security built for the worlds most demanding IT environments, today announced that it has completed the sale of $150 million in common stock to the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board (Ontario Teachers) through its Teachers Innovation Platform (TIP). TIP focuses on late-stage venture and growth equity investments in companies that deliver disruptive technology.
The connected device ecosystem is at a pivot point. Endpoints are proliferating at a staggering rate, growing to an estimated 100 billion by 2025. Companies of all sizes face complex IT landscapes wrought with shadow IT and information silos. All the while, cybersecurity attacks have increased in frequency and sophistication. As the recent news cycle shows, even the largest organizations and agencies remain vulnerable. But it is the middle market, faced with the additional challenges of strained budgets and lack of security talent, that struggles most.
It is against this backdrop that Ontario Teachers, known for their selective investments in well-validated disruptive technologies, recognizes Taniums unique position to further scale against a massive market opportunity while serving new verticals and geographies.
Tanium is transforming the way organizations of all sizes protect their mission critical networks against increasing cyber threats, said Olivia Steedman, senior managing director, TIP, at Ontario Teachers. TIP looks to invest in innovative companies with great growth potential: Taniums leading endpoint management and security platform “ alongside its mission to transform IT management “ certainly meet those criteria.
The recent escalation in the sophistication of cyber attacks is a stark reminder that all organizations are vulnerable. From the most complex government agency to regional employers, business leaders need a platform that provides visibility and control of endpoints paired with rich data to make informed, timely business decisions, said Orion Hindawi, co-founder and CEO of Tanium. This investment from a savvy and highly strategic investor like TIP underlines the huge market opportunity around endpoint management and security and provides us with a thoughtful partner that shares our commitment to helping customers of all shapes and sizes manage and secure their operations.
Founded in 2007, Tanium is on a mission to provide manageability, security and insight where digital business begins: at the endpoint. Its unique approach is based on its intelligent communications architecture which goes directly to the edge. This gives organizations the ability to quickly obtain visibility and control across their environment, establishing a single source of truth about the state of endpoints to empower IT operations and security teams. Ontario Teachers selected Tanium because of its proven leadership, industry-leading vision for an open endpoint management platform and business vitality, in addition to its vast market opportunity.
Tanium has been building toward this opportunity throughout 2020:
- In June, the company announced a strategic partnership with Salesforce to reimagine the employee experience. Tanium will provide the IT helpdesk with current and rich visibility into the state of each and every endpoint, all through a single pane of glass.
- In July, Tanium launched Tanium as a Service (TaaS), the first and only zero infrastructure endpoint management and security solution. TaaS solves the omnipresent issue of endpoint visibility and control via a fully hosted, delivered and managed SaaS solution. The zero-infrastructure solution means a customer can be up and running in minutes with single-click default configurations that enable out-of-the-box functionality as a baseline for customers.
- In August, the company announced another major partnership with Google Cloud and an integration with Chronicle to help enterprises detect, investigate and scope advanced persistent threats.
- In November, Tanium announced a collaboration with IBM Cloud to create a security and compliance monitoring solution for hybrid cloud, as well as a hands-free proof of concept that allows businesses to sign up for a trial period to use Tanium in cloud-hosted environments.
- Tanium recently appointed Mark Fields, former CEO of Ford Motor Company, and David Rowland, executive chairman of Accenture, to its Board of Directors.
- Tanium also delivered major UX/UI enhancements that bring actionable insights for each solution front and center. It delivers efficient and intuitive navigation for a more streamlined experience, dramatically reducing the number of clicks for key actions.
Tanium offers endpoint management and security that is built for the worlds most demanding IT environments. Many of the worlds largest and most sophisticated organizations, including nearly half of the Fortune 100, top retailers and financial institutions, and multiple branches of the US Armed Forces rely on Tanium to make confident decisions, operate efficiently and effectively, and remain resilient against disruption. Tanium has been named to the Forbes Cloud 100 list of Top 100 Private Companies in Cloud Computing for five consecutive years and ranks 4th on FORTUNEs list of the Best Workplaces in Technology 2020. Visit us at www.tanium.com and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
About Ontario Teachers’
The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board (Ontario Teachers’) is the administrator of Canada’s largest single-profession pension plan, with C$204.7 billion in net assets (all figures at June 30, 2020 unless noted). It holds a diverse global portfolio of assets, approximately 80% of which is managed in-house, and has earned an annual total-fund net return of 9.5% since the plan’s founding in 1990. Ontario Teachers’ is an independent organization headquartered in Toronto. Its Asia-Pacific regional offices are in Hong Kong and Singapore, and its Europe, Middle East & Africa region office is in London. The defined-benefit plan, which is fully funded as of January 1, 2020, invests and administers the pensions of the province of Ontario’s 329,000 active and retired teachers. For more information, visit otpp.com and follow us on Twitter @OtppInfo.