Peoples Bank of Commerce (OTCBB: PBCO) announced today its financial results for the fourth quarter and full year 2018 operations. The bank reported net income of $3,398,000 for the full year of 2018 compared to $2,061,000 in 2017, a 65% increase. In 2018 earnings per diluted share were $1.18 compared $0.80 per diluted share during 2017, a 47% increase. Net income for the 4th quarter of 2018, totaled $882,000 or $0.30 per diluted share compared to $313,000 or $0.11 per diluted share for 2017.
When comparing the full year 2018 net income to 2017, several significant items impact the comparison. First, the bank owned Steelhead Finance for a full 12 months in 2018 compared to only 4 months in 2017, contributing $0.48 of earning per share in 2018 compared to $0.14 per share in 2017. Second, passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (Tax Reform) for corporations resulted in a one-time, non-cash income tax expense of $413,000 in the fourth quarter of 2017 while 2018 benefited from the reduction in Federal Income tax rate from 34% to 21%. Additionally, the bank was able to lower its tax expense in 2018 by over $100,000, recovering taxes paid in earlier years by accelerating depreciation expense. Examples of the other one-time events that affected bottom line income include:
- The bank was able to provide a tax reform bonus to all non-executives of $500 to $2,000 per employee based on time with the company. Plus, the bank established a minimum wage of $14 per hour for all bank employees.
- The bank opened a new 3-story headquarters building in April 2018.
- The bank established a full-service branch in Klamath Falls, Oregon in January 2018
- The bank celebrated its 20th anniversary including pay it forward gifts to the community.
- The bank increased outstanding loans by almost 20% resulting in an increase to the loan and lease loss provision.
Highlights for the quarter and year included:
- Total loans increased $9.9 million or 4.1% during the fourth quarter 2018 and $41.3 million or 20% for the entire year.
- Deposits increased $12.8 million or 4.4% over the past 3 months and increased $43.1 million or 16.3% for the entire year.
- The banks total assets increased $13.0 million during the fourth quarter and increased $47.1 million or 15.6% for the entire year.
- Net interest income for 2018 totaled $12.3 million dollars compared to $10.8 million in 2017, a 13.3% increase.
- Non-Interest income totaled $6.7 million in 2018 versus $3.3 million in 2017, a 104% increase. This increase was the result of activity from the banks factoring company, Steelhead Finance, which provided $4.9 million of gross revenue during 2018.
- Non-interest expenses totaled $14.2 million in 2018 compared to $10.3 million in 2017, a 37.4% increase. $2.8 million of this increase was the result of the purchase of Steelhead Financial with the balance attributed to the bank.
- The banks year-to-date efficiency ratio was 75% in 2018 and 73.23% in 2017.
- ROAE was 10.29% in 2018 and 7.18% in 2017.
- ROAA was 1.00% in 2018, 0.73% in 2017.
- EPS was $1.18 in 2018 compared to $0.80 in 2017.
- Loans on non-accrual or past due more than 90 days at the end 2018 were 0.16% of loans outstanding, compared to zero at the end of 2017.
As noted by the list of accomplishments above, 2018 was a year of growth, both for the balance sheet as well as the banks image in the community, noted Ken Trautman, bank President and CEO. Because many of the expenses incurred in 2018 were one-time in nature, the bank is positioned for strong performance in the next year and the years to come. Expansion of the national and local economies has been a great tailwind, but the level of service from our employees has been a real driving force. Rising short-term interest rates and a flat yield curve will be a challenge to all banks, as the cost of funds will rise more than the yield on assets. Despite this, the bank has maintained a net interest margin superior to our FDIC peer group. With many one-time expenses behind us, the bank can continue to look for additional opportunities to diversify its non-interest income and increase efficiency.
Provision for Credit Losses
Strong loan growth and credit quality prompted a provision expense of $406,000 in 2018 compared to $52,000 in 2017. At yearend 2018, the allowance for loan and lease losses totaled 1.125% of loans held for investment compared to 1.15% at the end of 2017. Net loan charge offs in 2018 were ($6,645) versus ($4,978) the prior year.
At December 31, 2018, tangible shareholders equity totaled $32.08 million, compared to $28.00 million at December 31, 2017. The banks tangible leverage ratio was 9.27% at year-end 2018, compared to 9.37% at December 31, 2017. The completion of the Steelhead acquisition resulted in approximately $3.3 million in goodwill reflected above in the tangible shareholder equity and leverage ratios. Tangible book value per share was $10.86 at December 31, 2018, compared to $9.71 one year earlier.
About Peoples Bank of Commerce
Peoples Bank of Commerces stock trades on the over-the-counter market under the symbol PBCO. Additional information about the Bank is available in the investor section of the banks website at: www.peoplesbankofcommerce.com.
Founded in 1998, Peoples Bank of Commerce is the only locally owned and managed community bank in Southern Oregon. Peoples Bank of Commerce is a full service bank headquartered in Medford, Oregon with branches in Medford, Ashland, Central Point, Grants Pass and Klamath Falls.
“Safe Harbor” Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995:
This release includes forward-looking statements intended to qualify for the safe harbor from liability established by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements generally can be identified by phrases such as Peoples Bank or its management “believes,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “foresees,” “forecasts,” “estimates” or other words or phrases of similar import. Similarly, statements herein that describe Peoples Banks business strategy, outlook, objectives, plans, intentions or goals also are forward-looking statements. All such forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in forward-looking statements.
|People’s Bank of Commerce|
|Balance Sheet (unaudited)|
|(dollars in thousands)||12/31/2018||9/30/2018||6/30/2018||3/31/2018||12/31/2017|
|Cash and due from banks||9,382||3,928||2,431||11,918||14,046|
|Federal funds sold|
|Loans held for sale||2,084||215||1,381||1,862||2,191|
|Loans held for investment,||249,949||240,093||233,600||219,359||208,657|
|net of unearned income|
|Allowance for loan and lease losses||(2,812||)||(2,701||)||(2,631||)||(2,523||)||(2,400||)|
|Premises and equipment, net||16,807||16,387||16,165||14,806||12,196|
|Money market and savings||117,714||112,728||107,634||108,666||101,141|
|Time deposits of less than $250,000||15,300||15,017||16,136||16,483||16,555|
|Time deposits of more than $250,000||1,317||2,081||2,074||2,067||2,060|
|Common stock, surplus, retained earnings||36,011||34,920||33,891||32,901||32,152|
|Accumulated other comprehensive||(113||)||(319||)||(278||)||(249||)||(56||)|
|Unearned ESOP Shares||(445||)||(562||)||(601||)||(641||)||(680||)|
|Total shareholders’ equity||35,453||34,039||33,012||32,011||31,416|
|Total Liabilities and Equity||349,525||336,495||326,921||318,822||302,441|
|Total intangible assets and goodwill||3,486||3,468||3,468||3,468||3,468|
|Current shares outstanding||2,953,434||2,915,752||2,902,164||2,747,164||2,745,758|
|People’s Bank of Commerce|
|Income Statement (unaudited)|
|Three Months Ended||Twelve Months Ended|
|(dollars in thousands)||12/31/2018||9/30/2018||12/31/2017||12/31/2018||12/31/2017|
|Federal funds sold and due from banks||161||182||61||534||175|
|Total interest income||3,666||3,486||2,903||13,385||11,245|
|Total interest expense||353||318||129||1,132||435|
|Net interest income||3,313||3,169||2,774||12,253||10,810|
|Provision for credit losses||112||69||72||406||52|
|Net Interest Income after provision||3,201||3,100||2,702||11,847||10,758|
|for credit losses|
|Service charges on deposit accounts||78||76||73||308||290|
|Mortgage lending income||150||130||191||615||805|
|Steelhead Finance income||1,179||1,339||1,072||4,915||1,398|
|Gain (loss) on other real estate||–||–||–||22|
|Other non-interest income||118||199||151||817||755|
|Total non-interest income||1,525||1,744||1,487||6,655||3,270|
|Salary and Benefits||2,346||2,297||1,954||8,955||6,210|
|Premises and fixed assets||554||460||419||1,877||1,473|
|Total non-interest expense||3,725||3,585||3,097||14,180||10,317|
|Net income before taxes||1,001||1,259||1,092||4,322||3,711|
|Basic earnings per share *||0.30||0.33||0.11||1.18||0.80|
|Diluted earnings per share *||0.30||0.32||0.11||1.18||0.80|
|Average common shares outstanding *||2,926,964||2,909,889||2,725,925||2,870,220||2,570,472|
|Return on average assets||1.03%||1.11%||0.41%||1.00%||0.73%|
|Return on average equity||10.25%||11.43%||3.87%||10.29%||7.18%|
|Net interest margin||4.11%||4.05%||4.12%||4.18%||4.22%|
|* adjusted for 5% stock dividend May 2017, May 2018|
Ken Trautman, President and CEO
541-774-7654, [email protected]